Im banging my head against the wall
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Im banging my head against the wall

DefaultIm banging my head against the wall

but Im sure its my fault...

Oscar wont stop PEEING ON HIS BED! I try to get him out as much as possible and reward and praise him for going outside but he keeps PEEING ON HIS BED! Is so f*cking frustrating having to clean his bed (and rinse him off) every morning. Im going to take it out of his cage for a little bit until he learns that if he pees on it, he doesnt get it. He is also going to the door, and peeing RIGHT THERE without even waiting for me to get his leash and take him. And (thanks to my roommate) he thinks that even if he pees in the house he gets to go outside and play. After he pees, he still sits at the door and makes me think that he still has to go, i bring him out and all he does is try and play. Now he gets ample amount of play-time daily, its like he is going through adolesence and just enjoys pissing me off (I know its not true but it feels like it.). Someone PLEASE HELP!! :-[

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Im banging my head against the wall

I promise he's not doing it out of spite but every accident in the house reinforces that it's ok. You should take the bed out of his crate and make sure the crate is sized appropriatley. He should be able to turn around and lay down but not move around too much. No bedding at all maybe a chew toy that he can't destroy and that's it. The bedding even if washed could still smell like pee to him so he will go on it. If he's having accidents every night I would try setting your alarm for sometime in the middle of the night and taking him to for a week or so to prevent them. As far as going by the door keep him leashed to you when he's out of his crate for a few days or weeks if necessary. Yes it's a bit annoying but this way you will catch him if he does start to make a mess and can correct him and get him outside to break the cycle.
    With a room mate I know it's not ideal but if you want to get him to stop you have to be 100% vigilant and prevent the accidents before they happen so you break the cycle and he starts to learn.

How old is the dog? Is the dog crated when he can't be supervised? If this is a recent development, has he been checked by a vet for a UTI? We need more info to be able to help you.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

He is 3 months old, he is in his crate when unsupervised and through the night. He was doing really well with going to the door to let me know. Just now he stood up, made no attempt to go to the door, stared at me, and started peeing on the floor. Theres nothing in his crate except him at the moment. Im pullin my friggin hair out!

Sounds like a vet check is in order.

What did you do when he started peeing in front of you? A check for a UTI wouldn't hurt it can cause puppies to relapse and have a lot of accidents they can't help.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

First check for a UTI, but he may simply need a mid-night potty break.

How long is he in the crate?

bebopalula is offline Senior Member

I would take him to the Vet, just to be on the safe side. Then I would think about not living with the roomate.

The roommate is coming around, leaving my dog be. Im going to get him to the vet and checked for a UTI but...

He HAS pee'd on his bed before and I think it soaked into the cushion, which isnt washable (only the slip cover is). So I think that may have contributed to the bed-wetting. We put new(ish) blankets in the crate and no accidents.

I woke up kind of late and my g/f was late for work that morning and couldnt take him out at 7am, so Im chalking that to be another reason.

Finally, after being taken out at 7am today, and then 1030 when I woke up, and then at 330 when I got back from class, he has been doing WONDERFULLY. So I'm not %100 that its HIS fault and not MINE. But I will get him checked to be completely sure. Thanks for the help and concern!

sarah is offline Senior Member

Is Oscar's crate big enough for his food bowl to go in there? One thing I would try that worked with Milly is that we fed her in her crate. Most dog's won't pee where they eat. Just in case he stops being wonderful it could be worth keeping as a back-up plan.

And I have seen all your Oscar pictures and I think he looks adorable!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast