Leash Problems

Thread: Leash Problems

sarah is offline Senior Member

DefaultLeash Problems

I'm having a problem with Milly at the moment where she tries to bite her leash when i have it on her. She likes to either bite it or carry it in her mouth - does this stop? Or is there something I can do to stop it? I pull the leash out of her mouth everytime she does it but she'll then just try and get it back like it's a game? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks Sarah!
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Leash Problems

If she just likes carrying it in her mouth, and doesn't turn it into a game of tug or chew, I wouldn't fuss. If it bothers you or if she's chewing and tugging, you could try a few things

-a metal chain leash
    -a training collar looped through her regular collar and clipped to the leash, so that the first 6-8 inches of leash closest to her mouth are metal
    -getting a big bottle of extra strong bitter apple spray, dumping it into a bowl, and soaking the whole leash overnight (or longer) in the bowl.
    -give her something else for her to carry (my uncle's golden carried her blue bunny everywhere, from adolescence to her death...)

Potter does this sometimes. Occasionally he'll get super hyper after a poop (this happens much less frequently as he gets older) and will try to hold the leash in his mouth. But like kaytris said, since he doesn't try to tug or chew it, I just let him carry it. He'll look up at me while he's carrying it like, "Look, I'm helping you mom!"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hahaha, I thought my ex g/f's Lab was funny cause when you took her for a walk she would do that, and you could just let go of the other end and she would walk herself down and back withing a few minutes like nothing out of the ordinary. That is, until I got Oscar. From about day one he's been doing that, and it never turns into a game. In fact, he REALLY looks for the leash when we want to run. I think its a lab thing, and it shouldnt be much of a problem. I find it funny, if anything.

I bought a bottle of bitter apple spray, soaked the leash in it overnight, and Wrigley didn't want it in his mouth whatsoever! I recommend trying it!!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff often did this as a pup and still does. As Kaytris said, if there's no chewing and no tug of war -- no big deal.

My thinking is that Puff prefers to NOT have pressure on her neck but rather to take it in her teeth and mouth.

As long as she walks beside me as I wish, Hey! no big deal to me, I'm happy to strike a mutually agreeable balance.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

i do the same thing i do for "give" when playing fetch without the command. for fetch i give him lost of praise for 10-20 secs then lift him by his chest with my other hand under his mouth and say give and wait for the drop then praise. for the leash though i just lift him up and put him down when he drops it, but no command cause it is not somthing i want him to take in the first place. has worked out very well.