Training "down" - updated
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training "down" - updated

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultTraining "down" - updated

it's been awhile since I've done this - but I'm teaching Tundie (Foster) to lay down.

I have him getting the picture - but am still having to put my hand on the ground with a treat to get him down.

HOW do I get a signal in this that doesn't involve me going to the ground?

Do I just teach the word, once he's got that (no hand) I start with a new signal?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Training "down"

I'm now so into shaping I'm trying to think back to my last lured dog.
    what would happen if you held signal hand down and rewarded from other hand .. even if ther eis a treat in luring hand... then slowly lengthen the time between lured down and treat production... then fade treat right out of signal hand....

take it in tiny increments and I think you'd be ok...

good for you working with the boyo!
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

If you're luring with your hand, I would just start to shorten how far down you go. Work up until it's just a downward gesture with your hand. Or, start luring him with the same hand, but put your treat in the other hand (without him knowing) and give him the treat once he's in position.

Sometimes you have to wait for them to start to try. For example, when Baloo was learning down, eventually I would have to say "down" with the hand signal and then wait. When the treat didn't come immediately he'd start to try and figure it out. He'd sit. No treat. Give paw. No treat. Lay down, mom says "YES" and he gets treat!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sigh. They said he was a very smart dog. Maybe he's just outsmarting me on this! (or maybe it's the stubborn part).

He isn't getting it. But I am using the "go down a little bit less" tactic with mild success. I am able to get just below the knee - otherwise he stares at me like i've lost it. Baby steps. We've been at it a week.

How would you teach this without luring?

I had the same problem with Zeus. He's stubborn and his nose is good so he knows where the treat is...lol
    He did get better I just had to take the intervuls slower with him than with Mocha.
    I lured while showing him the treat at first then went to trying to hide the treat in my palm then trying to just use the hand signal (all the way down) and treat when he was down then we added the voice command to it when they were doing that regularly. He's still not 100% but I'm not as vigilant about it as I should be and we only went through one class when I should have kept going with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya

How would you teach this without luring?
    with a GREAT deal of patience...

Sally was shaped wholely for her down and its a VERY strong default behaviour now - even while she is yakking at me..

She was with me a great deal when little and eating many many small meals ... when she was in a down I'd catch her, reward her and move on

soon when she wanted something she'd lie down and watch for me to "catch her" down... at that point I added a verbal cue

I wish I'd shaped all my dogs down ..it worked brilliantly for her

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by conrad
    when she was in a down I'd catch her, reward her and move on

soon when she wanted something she'd lie down and watch for me to "catch her" down... at that point I added a verbal cue

I wish I'd shaped all my dogs down ..it worked brilliantly for her
    penny learned this way, too.

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

DefaultRe: Training "down" - updated

YAY! he seems to get it

the only "problem" (and I hesitate to call it so) is the signal he know recognizes. It's is: my right hand down on my leg (I am standing) and tapping gently on me knee/leg. oh well, he gets it!

we are working on sit/down/stand (stand being a new command, i am luring but less so now). and he gets it I will switch it up (stand, down, stand, sit). oh the side we are working on "shake" (shake a paw)

don't worry about your cue ...

sally's most automatic cue for down is my hands on my hips .. LOL

I hadn't even realized that was a positional cue for weeks

glad you are working away with him

JustineNYC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tanya
    it's been awhile since I've done this - but I'm teaching Tundie (Foster) to lay down.

I have him getting the picture - but am still having to put my hand on the ground with a treat to get him down.

HOW do I get a signal in this that doesn't involve me going to the ground?

Do I just teach the word, once he's got that (no hand) I start with a new signal?
    With Dale, his trainers hand signal was hand up, chest high, palm outward.....sort of like how a crossing guard signals to a car to stop.

She taught Dale word with hand signal.....always did both, so did I. Now I just hand signal and he goes down. Took me 4 days to get Molly to do it. But when she did it wow.....I was so proud haha.

I did the same thing, word with hand signal and the first 4 times where she just stared at me, I bent over, lifted her front paws and slowly lowered her into position, quickly followed again by hand signal with word DOWN and reward.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast