Question about Rabies vaccine.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Rabies vaccine.

DefaultQuestion about Rabies vaccine.

Our breeder prefers for her pups to NOT get the rabies vaccine until a year old. Somehow, through researching, she came to this conclusion. Does anybody know the reasons? She did mention an increase rate of cancer...

She IS leaving the decision up to us, so I'm trying to come to my own conclusions, and where better to start than here?!

As of right now the pups are vax'd against CCV, distemper, adenovirus type 2, parainfluenza and parvo.

What are your thoughts and reasons?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question about Rabies vaccine.

I've never heard of that or that rationale before. I'd like to know where she found that research from.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

I've not heard that either... ???

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I've looked online and have not found anything. The only cancer/rabies vaccine issues I've come across, so far, deal with cats.

Maybe it's an information mix-up...she does have cats.

Anyhow, is it better to wait until 6 months for the vaccine?

Quote Originally Posted by YellowFurBaby
    I've looked online and have not found anything. The only cancer/rabies vaccine issues I've come across, so far, deal with cats.

I'm confused. How does someone wait on a rabies vaccine? I thought they were state required. Most states require them between 3 - 4 months of age and the only state that I believe allows you to wait to 6 months of age is WV. How do you get around this if you are going to the vet for your other vaccinations?

The only thing I've ever heard of is that they can develop lumps at the injection sight. This did just happen to one of my girls.

what does your vet think?

Quote Originally Posted by ChowHound
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowFurBaby

I'm confused. How does someone wait on a rabies vaccine? I thought they were state required. Most states require them between 3 - 4 months of age and the only state that I believe allows you to wait to 6 months of age is WV. How do you get around this if you are going to the vet for your other vaccinations?
    Oh, I didn't tell you... I'm a pure-blooded-reddest-red-necked-rural-Canadian girl there is? ;D

j/k but yeah, we're in southern Manitoba- rural/farm country. We live across the street from a farmer's field...hmmm, my kids spend more time out in the field than most dogs I know...maybe THEY should get the rabies vax? LOL

Sadly, around here, dog laws are rarely enforced. For a lot of people, dogs are just dogs...if they get sick, too old, or hit by a car, they get taken out to the field, and well... It's really sad. Not to say there aren't a lot of awesome dog owners around here, there are. We haven't even told dh's parents about getting a LAB, they are adamant that big dogs are "outside dogs and belong on a farm." I, on the other hand, have come from a family of dog lovers owning well-loved, smart, member of the family, dogs. As stubborn as I am, if someone tells me I can't do something...I will prove them wrong. I can't wait.

I think the biggest misconception, around here, is people think... when you get a lab it magically grows up into a perfect dog. When THAT doesn't happen, the dogs get shipped out to farmers, to become outside farm dogs. For some reason, the whole idea of TRAINING escapes them. Ignorant people.

There is a rabies vaccine guideline but they really don't enforce it. People are supposed to license their dogs, but I'm sure the majority don't. If I felt strongly about waiting to vaccinate, I could, but I'm not.

As of right now...I haven't read anything conclusive saying *waiting* is much better. Only that waiting for a pups immune system to get stronger may decrease side-effects.

We haven't seen the vet yet, we'll be seeing her the day after pup comes home. Even then, I'm always open to suggestions, but in the end, I do my own homework and do what I feel is best. That goes for our family docs too.

From what I read I thought you had to wait till they were 6 months to get the Rabies shot, but I just took Cookie last weekend for her second round of shots and they gave her the rabies shot.... She is only 3 months.

rayluckgoo is offline Senior Member

Besides the law, one has to consider the reason we're vaccinating in the first place. There's no magical time when a puppy is immune to a bite of a rabid animal. One must take into consideration the protection of the dog and his human family from rabies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast