A few questions about Batman's behavior

Thread: A few questions about Batman's behavior

DefaultA few questions about Batman's behavior

Well its been a few weeks since we first brought Batman home and he has progressed quite a bit. He's such a happy playful dog and we are still very happy that we got him. He had fleas when we got him home but worked hard to get rid of them and haven't seen any since just a few days after that.

Anyway, I have a few questions, I'm sure everything is perfectly normal, but I wanted to just double check. He's approx 2 months old now...

1. Pottying - Batman knows he is supposed to go outside because he usually runs to the door to be let out but a couple times a day he will still have #1 accidents in the house and maybe once a week he has a #2 accident. Sometimes he'll run to the door and be standing there and go #1 before we can get him out, other times it happens w/o him even giving any indication. When its a #2 accident in the house, he always finds a hard floor, never on the carpet. When he goes outside its on our deck so I think thats where he gets the idea to do it on a hard surface. We also generally give him a small treat after coming back inside from a successful potty and praise him for it. As far as frequency goes, I'd say he goes #2 about 2-3 times a day and #1 is hard to say, there are times that he goes 5 times in an hour and there are times that he doesn't go at all for an hour or two. We feed him 4 times a day and about 1/4 or a little more at a time, we only leave the water available when the food is out. Is this normal behavior? Does it sound like he's doing good for his age or should he be better? Should we be doing anything different?

2. Training - He knows sit (learned it in about 20 minutes), he knows his name, he knows "no" but sometimes I have to repeat, he knows his name, he knows lay down (took about 40 minutes to learn), he knows "come" but he only does if he wants to. Should we be teaching him anything else right now? I don't really care about special tricks or anything, just the basics.

3. Biting - He seems to be getting increasingly bad about this and he can draw blood. I always tell him know and give him once of his toys to chew on, sometimes he sticks with the toy for a while but other times hes back to biting people within seconds. If he is very persistent I will tell him no, gently hold his mouth closed, and hold him secure so he cannot fight me. At first he fought back as much as he could but now he will acquiesce and instantly stay calm until I let him go. When I do release him I tell him good boy and he will be better for a while. He responds to me telling him no much better than my wife, she doesn't stop him and several times he gets his little ferocious look and nips at her. Is his biting normal and will go away on its own or do I need to do something else?

4. Eating his poop - He doesn't always do this, but I have caught him several times. Obviously its not good for him to do that, so short of just making sure I get it cleaned up right away is there something else I need to do.

5. Barking - This is another thing that seems to be getting worse. He barks to be let in, he barks, to be played with, mostly barks for attention I gather, not ever in a mean way really. Some people have said to spray him in the face with water but I haven't tried that yet, I just tell him no which usually causes him to reply with another bark. What can I do about that?

6. Hiding - Sometimes if he thinks he's in trouble or I have to put him in the kennel and go to pick him up he runs off and hides under our bed. I dunno if anything can be done about that.

I don't have any reason to believe that his behavior is off-track but I just want to make sure I am doing the right things so thanks in advance for any help! All-in-all he is a wonderful happy puppy, he LOVES attention and loves to run, play tug-of war, and chew on his toys and bones.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: A few questions about Batman's behavior

whew! Lots of questions! First off - congrats on Batman! He's about the same age as my Remy so let's see if we can help you 2 out:

#1: As far as feeding/pottying: check his food to be sure you are giving the correct amount of food based on his age and his weight. We take weigh Remy every couple of weeks to be sure we're not under feeding him. A few pounds can make a 1/2 cup difference in food allotment for the day in some kibble brands. You might want to offer him some more water. After heavy play or a long nap. I agree you shouldn't leave water out all the time (Remy will just drink himself to drowning I swear) but he may need more water. You are going to have accidents. For several months. Sounds like he's doing great. If you don't want him going on the porch though I would nip that in the bud now.

#2: Training - he's doing great! Sounds like you got the basics down and good foundations for obedience. Remember to never repeat a command - get him to respond the first time (ie - if he doesn't come when you call him after a few seconds...go get him) You may also want to start working on some form of "drop it" or "leave it" to get things out of his mouth. And be sure to start getting him used to a leash.

#3: Biting will ebb and flow...the best rule of thumb is - remove yourself from the biting. He's biting for attention/play and he doesn't know he's hurting. Yelp "Ouch!" when he bites and pull away like another puppy in the litter would if bit hard. Or if he's just being mouthy - give him something else to chew such as a toy. Say "no bite" and pull your hand, pant leg, coat hem away and put a toy in his mouth. If all else fails you can spray Bitter Apple on your hands or whatever he's biting.

#4 Can't say I've had the pleasure, but I think there are other posts on this that recommend cleaning up immediately and there is some sort of additive to their food that will make it taste yucky.

#5: Barking. Ignore him. Any response..including telling him No or Stop it...is just reinforcing the bark. The bark is for attention and you're giving it.

#6: Block off areas that he can hide under! God forbid he gets something dangerous that he shouldn't have and then goes and hides.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

kaytris is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by animuL

1. Pottying - Batman knows he is supposed to go outside because he usually runs to the door to be let out but a couple times a day he will still have #1 accidents in the house and maybe once a week he has a #2 accident.
    sounds like he's getting the idea just fine.. if you find him having repeated accidents, he likely has too much freedom. If he isn't within your sight, he needs to be in his crate/exercise pen
    2. Training - he knows "come" but he only does if he wants to. Should we be teaching him anything else right now? I don't really care about special tricks or anything, just the basics.
    Walking on leash - although he's too young to go out in public, you can get him used to wearing a leash and collar - initially, just let him drag the leash around (under supervision). Later, you can pick up one end of the leash and walk around, encouraging him to follow you.

6. Hiding - Sometimes if he thinks he's in trouble or I have to put him in the kennel and go to pick him up he runs off and hides under our bed. I dunno if anything can be done about that.
    If he's dragging his leash, you can use that to move him around. I would also be making sure that his crate is the best place in the world for him to be. Feed him his meals there, toss treats and toys in there, leave him in there varying amounts of time when you are home as well as when you have to leave.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the replies.

Something happened last night that shed some light on a few things, or maybe put them into perspective: He was going #2 and along with it was probably half a dozen roundworms that were easily 6"+ long!!! My wife had taken him to the vet for a regular appointment and he was given a de-wormer yesterday afternoon. We both felt like the most worthless owners in the world probably. After we started reading up about them it became obvious why he was constantly hungry. Apparently the way a puppy will get roundworms is from his mother?? Which means the poor little guy has had them all his life thus far. I told my wife to call the vet first thing this morning to see what we need to do next about this.

I just wanted to cry (and my wife did) last night thinking about how Batman has been so hungry all the time and in such danger because of these worms, and meanwhile we were feeding him the recommended amount thinking he was just hungry cause he's a lab. I'm just glad that these worms are getting taken care of now and not going by unnoticed still. He does seem kinda skinny to me, you can make out his ribs, but the vet didn't say anything about his weight being a concern.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Caution on the use of the word NO as a command. It's too general to be of any use. NO ---- what? No wagging? Breathing? Prancing? Smiling? Any one of the dozen things the dog is doing at that moment could apply, and the dog has no idea you're talking about getting his head out of the garbage can.

BE SPECIFIC with your commands.

LEAVE IT!
    NO VISIT!
    OFF!
    SETTLE!
    QUIET!
    DOWN!

Each with its unique meaning and response. And then train-train-train, using corrections/praise until they're rock-solid.

sarah is offline Senior Member

Our Milly is around the same age as Batman.

She doesn't eat her #2's though but she is at the same level as your puppy the only difference we have is that she doesn't do much biting. Sometimes she tries to bite your face if you are low enough but she gets told NO BITE and we stop playing with her so she understands that it's wrong. The reason I think that Milly doesn't bite much is because we consistenly say "OUCH" and stop playing with her and put her outside or we go inside. She learnt pretty quickly that biting = her humans stop paying her attention!!

The only issue I have at the moment is that she tries to bite her leash when i have it on her. She likes to either bite it or carry it in her mouth - does this stop?

Barking - This is another thing that seems to be getting worse. He barks to be let in, he barks, to be played with, mostly barks for attention I gather, not ever in a mean way really. Some people have said to spray him in the face with water but I haven't tried that yet, I just tell him no which usually causes him to reply with another bark. What can I do about that?
    Milly barks for attention if we aren't outside with her or she's not inside. Ignoring it has helped alot and the attention barking duration is getting less and less every day.

Sounds like Batman is doing well - do you have any pics of him?
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

I'd say it sounds like you're doing great with Batman so far!

I recall taking Tucker out every 1/2 hour or so at first...sometimes he'd go potty often, sometimes not as much. Many times, right after eating, sleeping, or playing, he would have to go potty (now our Tipper will have to).

One thing I'd suggest....when he goes potty outside and you praise...take a treat with you and give the treat immediately after pottying, instead of waiting 'til you get back inside. Might not make a difference, but he could associate getting the treat with coming inside, not with going potty (just an observation).

What I did with Tucker, and now do with our new one, Tipper, is use commands and words for everyday situations, and things I want them to be doing routinely, so it just becomes habit. Sit before eating, sit before going out the door (so knowing sit)....down, come, wait, stay, outside (to potty), potty-potty (or potty-poop...yes I do differentiate) ;D, drop it, leave it, no bite, off, etc.,....the basics. Keep training short and playful (short attention span at first). In addition, from the start, I've done this and it's been a help (weird maybe, but it HAS been a great help). I name most everything I'm doing, so they know...check ears, clean ears, check eyes, clean eyes, check nails, clip nails, collar (meaning put your collar/leash on to go outside). Naming things I'm doing has been great....they sit and stay calm being handled..and when we go to the vet, and the vet and tech are going over them, I'm naming it for them there (check ears, etc.)...and they stay calm, watch me, and let themselves be examined and taken care of...and the vet and tech appreciate it.

As for biting....good luck! I don't miss that part of puppyhood! Tucker quit that suddenly about 5 mos., when his baby teeth were gone. I'd wet an old washcloth, wring it out (not completely), throw it in the freezer, and let him have it to chew on; helped with teething. Also, ice cubes...mine both love 'em, still, and fun to watch them with 'em.

And I did the same as you do for the biting....holding his muzzle gently closed, 'til he settled. That helped for awhile. Or re-direct, when he went for our hands, put a toy in his mouth instead.

Good luck; sounds like you're doing a great job!

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

I think every reply you've gotten so far has been great, and what I would type out too, but I'll leave it at that. The worms could have been causing him to have accidents, but mostly, he's still just 2 months, so I think until about 4 months you can expect the occasional accident from time to time. It sounds like you are doing excellent there too.

I do wonder though, why is he pottying on your deck? Is there no yard access?
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

I don't have a fence but the deck is all closed off so he goes out there.

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

K. Just so you know, you may never be able to get him to stop going on the deck - our neighbour got a puppy in the winter, and they let it go on the deck during it's potty training phase. It's now 2 and it still loves to go on the deck.

Just an FYI in case you actually want your deck for anything in the future.
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.