Crate Question

Thread: Crate Question

sammysam21 is offline Senior Member

DefaultCrate Question

I am new to this whole crate training thing. I never had to crate my other puppies because I was at home with them. However, I now have to work so he is going to be crate trained. My question is what do you put in the crate? I have been looking around and I see that there are crate pads that are padded or not. I was also thinking about a blanket instead of a crate pad. What is the best idea for a eight week old puppy?
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Callaway is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Crate Question

I just have a blanket I got on sale at walmart. But Bogey is almost 9 months now and he doesnt chew on it. Maybe just and old towel for now. I dont know if you should put a piddle pad in or not, someone else will have better advice there.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Nothing! Maybe a few indestructible toys, but that's it. Blankets can be chewed and eaten, and cause intestinal blockages. :-[

Baloo is 11 months, and he only has blankets in his crate at night, when I'm sleeping 5 feet away from him, and would hear him if he was trying to destroy them. olice:
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Koda has a lambskin furry thing pad, I don;t know what its called. And she has 3 toys in there, a squeaky one a bone and a ball I think. I did have a towel in there but she was chewing it and ripping it.

I agree with Baloo317, nothing when they're going through the "chew everything" stage. At about eight months, I put a small quilt in there and at 18 months changed that to a four inch piece of foam with a towel wrapped around it. Once a week the towel gets replaced. I also cover all the sides, other than the door, with a blanket so it has a real den feel to it. The crate looks so cozy and Rocky loves to sleep in there. I rarely put any toys in there. They're only in there if he brings them in.

sammysam21 is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the input. I think that I am going to try no blanket and see how he handles it. This puppy crating is all new to me. Luckily the lady that I am getting the puppy from has already crate trained him.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

Lee

If he's already crate trained, perhaps you should ask what he's already used to having in the crate. No blanket might be fine, but if he's always had something he might miss it. Just a thought.