Nedd some help

Thread: Nedd some help

M&C
    M&C is offline Member

DefaultNedd some help

Hi! I don't post much but I do read the forum almost everyday. I have two
    black labs Maggie and Cosmo. They are 2 1/2 years old and great dogs. Where
    we are having the problem is poop eating. I know there isn't a whole lot we can
    do about this other than pick it up immediately which we do. They don't go outside
    without my husband or myself. I think they have become obsessed with trying to
    get a hold of poop. They try hiding to do the deed and grab it as it coming out!!! ???
    They know what leave it means but become deaf at that time. I think all of our
    hovering has turn it into a game to them. I would like to know if there is a way to
    break the urgency of them trying to get at it. I know we wont break the nasty habit
    itself. I would really appreciate any advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Nedd some help

Some dogs just do this. I know it is disgusting. You may want to try changing their food. We had a foster dog who ate his when he was on dehydrated food but stopped when we put him on regular kibble.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

there is a commercial additive that is supposed to help (Forbid? I think? ). I've also heard of people adding pineapple and licorice to their dogs' meals.. apparently all three things make the poop taste bad.

Good luck.. Sophie is TERRIBLE about poopsnacking...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

M&C
    M&C is offline Member

I am thinking about changing their food because this all started after I put them on a lamb and rice food. Before that they were on a chicken based food and never even gave it a second glance. I put them back on a chicken and rice for a while and they stunk us out of the house!!
    I know I read some where that lamb is hard to digest for dogs. Can anyone suggest a new food? They don't eat wheat or corn. I have tried pineapple juice, forbid, pureed pumpkin, meat tenderizer and proboctics to no avail. Oh yeah, they can't handle dairy products either, instant ear infections.

jan elaine Guest

Is this just happening in your yard? What if you go out without them and clean up the yard and then let them out? Then when they poop fresh (ugh) just get it up immediately. Labs are just too darn sneaky and smart aren't they? Too bad they aren't alittle more discriminating in what they eat! Good luck!!

M&C
    M&C is offline Member

There is never anything out there for them to snack on. I think that is why they have started sneaking around for it. The only time they actually get a hold of any is if they run around the side of the house and it takes me 10 seconds to get there and scoop it up! Like I said earlier they have become obsessed!
    I really hope I can get it to the point that they do their business and walk away. That would be very nice. For some reason they will not poop on a leash unless we are camping and they absolutely can't hold it anymore. Anyway I hope I can figure this out so we can start enjoying our outside time again.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need some help

Can anyone suggest a new food? They don't eat wheat or corn.
    "Diamond Naturals" doesn't have wheat or corn and does comes with C&R ingredients. Not sure it will absolutely cure poop easting but if they eat poop when fed L&R but not when eating C&R, it's sure worth trying. ;D

http://www.diamondpet.com/dealer_locator/

Ingredients
    Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, white rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, beet pulp, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Guaranteed Analysis
    Crude Protein 26.0% Minimum
    Crude Fat 16.0% Minimum
    Crude Fiber 3.0% Maximum
    Moisture 10.0% Maximum
    Zinc 150 mg/kg Minimum
    Selenium 0.4 mg/kg Minimum
    Vitamin E 150 IU/kg Minimum
    Omega-6 Fatty Acids * 2.5% Minimum
    Omega-3 Fatty Acids * 0.4% Minimum

* Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profile.

Calorie Content: 3,708 kcal/kg (368 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy.

AAFCO Statement
    Animal feeding test using Association of American Feed Control Officials procedures substantiate that Diamond Naturals Chicken & Rice Adult Dog Formula provides complete and balanced nutrition for all life stages.

BTW, if you belong to COSTCO, their house brand "Kirkland" is VERY similar to "Diamond Naturals" and is made by the same company.

AND, just plain "Diamond" is a lower priced food with cheaper ingredients and does have corn and wheat in it now.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748