Housebreaking Question

Thread: Housebreaking Question

DefaultHousebreaking Question

I just adopted a 12 week old pup. I've had him here with me for a few hours now. I know that he doesn't have good control over his bladder at 12 weeks, and it is my responsibility to bring him outside before he has an accident, but I'm a beginner at this, and this dog seems to urinate a lot. I brought him outside when we first got home, and he urinated outside. He was still on the deck, but at least he was outside. I praised him and gave him a piece of cheese. About an hour later he urinated on the rug in front of the door, but didn't notice until after he had finished. He did this again about 45 minutes later. I know that if I catch him in the act I can yell "no" and then I can bring him outside. But what do I do if I catch him after it happens? Do I still yell no and put him outside?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

brody is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Housebreaking Question

Quote Originally Posted by Scoper50
    I can yell "no" and then I can bring him outside. But what do I do if I catch him after it happens? Do I still yell no and put him outside?
    congrats on finding a puppy

I have to tell you I yelled NO at the screen when I read your post

the KEY to house training is catching the puppy doing RIGHT and offering lavish praise for it

if you can clap your hands and interupt the flow scoop puppy outseide then praise for finishing the job thats great

but basically until the pooch is at least 6 months old it is YOU who is housetrained not the puppy

puppies go potty:
    when they wake up
    when they play
    when they eat
    when they drink
    when they get out of a car
    and a million other times too

the rule of thumb is a 12 week old puppy will have to go potty at least once every 4 hours and often more

hang in there - we've all been there

cheers
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

Thanks for the advice. I've been working with him all day. He's had a few more accidents, but I realize that it is my fault for not watching and noticing the signs. But as I spend more and more time with the puppy I'm noticing the signs right away. I've been taking him outside about once every hour and a half. Sometimes more frequently. It's a pain in the butt considering it's 10 degrees outside and windy. He doesn't seem to enjoy being outside either. But I've been waiting up to 10 minutes or so until he does his thing, an then giving him a treat and praise.

He did have an accident in the crate when I went to the grocery store for 20 minutes. I came home to a poop filled crate and a poop covered dog. That was a lot of fun. It's all part of the process, right.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

as you said, its all part of the process
    my 3 month old is starting to get the hang of it. Still averages about 1-2 accidents a day, which is good since its usually my fault for not seeing him at the stairs... but yah, expect accidents, from what Ive heard, up to 6 months..

jan elaine Guest

Maggie is turning 4 mos. this week and she will still have a pee accident about once a week.( usually when my sons are watching her :) But she is starting to go to the door when she needs to go potty. Hang in there.

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

No dont still yell else he wont know what he is being scolded for just ignore the mistake and take him outside and clean up accordingly

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

They pee a ton!!

When we were home we were probably taking Baloo outside ever 30 minutes or so. I remember thinking "he can't possibly have to go again!" and oh yes, he did.

My aunt has a three month old golden puppy and she has noticed the very same thing. When you're around adults it's easy to forget how often puppies really have to go.

If you catch him in the act, DON'T yell! If you scare him that could do further damage, as he'll learn (quickly!) not to pee/poop in front of you ever again. This includes outside, where you want him to go so that you can reward him, etc. He will start trying to hide to do his business. That's when you find it in the upstairs closet, etc. You said that this guy seems kind of afraid already, so be very very careful not to frighten him, as he'll more than likely just shut down and no learning will take place.

Instead, if you catch him in the act, a quick, sharp noise of interruption should do it. Like, "ah ah!" or, "uh uh!" and quickly scoop him up and take him outside.

Good luck!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Callaway is offline Senior Member

I was home most of the time during this stage so I would just take him out every half hour. And if I caught him going inside i would tell him no, outside and take him out. He will get it. Just have patience.

Courtney, Bogey and Calli

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Please use some "Nature's Miracle" or OTC Hydrogen Peroxide from a supermarket's pharmacy section to complete the cleanup of inside pee spots.

The lingering scent from old pee spots continually calls to the pup, "Here's a great spot to pee -- pee here! Wanna pee? Here's a great spot to pee -- pee here! Need to pee? Here's a great spot to pee -- pee here!" "

Either of these 2 products help kill that scent and will make house training easier and less frustrating for both of you.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748