Thinking about Retriever Mama's post about potty training....

Thread: Thinking about Retriever Mama's post about potty training....

toyland444 is offline Senior Member

DefaultThinking about Retriever Mama's post about potty training....

Our foster pup, who is 4.5 months old, has been taking meds for a UTI. I'm still trying to ascertain what is UTI piddling and just piddling in general.
    When we first got him, he would pee when we would be leashing him up to go outside. He conquered this in about 2 weeks. Now we can reach for his collar, leash him, and he doesn't pee.
    This afternoon I reached down to leash him to take him on a walk and he pees, on the carpet, of course. I'm wondering if he's associating the leash with going to the vets or going for a ride in the van. He drools profusely in the van.
    How can I work with him with the leash? I was thinking of just leashing him in the house and letting him walk around with it on for awhile.
    I know the potty training has been hindered due to the UTI. He's been on meds for almost a month, and has 2.5 weeks left. We'll do a urine check, if it's clear, he'll go to a family who has been waiting for him to get over the UTI.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Thinking about Retriever Mama's post about potty training....

that sounds like submissive/nervous peeing. I'd leave the leash on while you are there to supervise, as well as working loads on getting him used to handling and collar touches. Pair each touch with a tasty treat. Try crouching down beside him instead of bending over him when you leash him up/handle him.

brody is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by toyland444

How can I work with him with the leash? I was thinking of just leashing him in the house and letting him walk around with it on for awhile.
    great idea and you can eventually add putting a second leash on - or unhooking and rehooking the drag leash

drag leashes save my sanity honestly
    http://andrea-agilityaddict.blogspot.com/

“I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.” H. Keller

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

toyland444 is offline Senior Member

I think I'll get the leash out a couple of times tomorrow and when I leash, I'll praise him and give him a treat.