Sleeping later???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping later???

DefaultSleeping later???

Koda gets up at 6:15am almost EVERY day. She is killing me. She won't go back to sleep.

any tips on getting her to sleep later? Or will she just start doing it one day after puppyhood?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Sleeping later???

What time does she settle down for the night? and what time do you want her to get up at?

Are you feeding her right when she wakes up? If so, try feeding a little later at night and/or hold off a little longer each morning so she isn't waking up because she wants to or expects to eat (we did that with Jonah, and most mornings he'll stay in the crate until 7:30 or so, he then eats about 1/2 hour after he gets out)

You could also work on "quiet" or "settle" so that even if she does wake up you can teach her quiet so she'll at least give you a little longer.

These were the two things we did with Jonah. But in the beginning he was waking me up at 6:30 (or earlier) as well! It got better about 2 or 3 months ago (so around age 5-6 months) if I remember correctly. When we were going through a rough patch some people scared me by saying it never got better, their dogs woke up with the sun! I wasn't going to have that though!

Hope you get to sleep in soon!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Gene Guest

Merlot is two now and has been getting up at 5:00 AM since he was a pup. We go to bed around 10:30. Zoey sleeps til 6:00.

We take Maggie out at 1:00 AM for the last time each night and she gets up at 6:00 AM on the dot every morning. If we want to sleep a little longer, we just put her back in her crate after she has her 6 am potty break. You might try giving her a frozen kong or something to keep Koda occupied so you can catch a few more zzz's

Oscar gets up whenever I get up. He's pretty good at holding his pee if I hapen to sleep in (and I dont wake up for much...) Wake up is usually around 9-ish if its my day off...

push back the last meal and bedtime, keep her up till you go to bed, a nice walk before bed.

is it for the bathroom, for food or just because she gets up. if bathroom you could sacrifice 5 or 10 min at 2 or 3 for an hour at 6. If food, the later feeding should help. If just because, the hardest. just try to tucker her out before bed. if it is barking, work on quiet and settle in the crate i.e barking does not get you out, I do when your quiet.

Yes I feed her right when she gets up.

She usually settles down around 8-9. She has a burst of energy and we play catch for about 20 mins in the house. We watch TV until 11ish and she is downstairs with us on the couch, then we take her out for a bathroom stop and put her in her crate. Even if I put her in her crate at 8:30 like last night, still up at about 6:10ish. I could walk her at 10:30pm and she still gets up at 6:10ish LOL

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

If you want to sleep later, take her out for a quick bathroom break @ 6:15 and then put her back in the crate. If she whines, ignore her.

That way she'll learn that whining will only get her a bathroom break, and nothing else.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    If you want to sleep later, take her out for a quick bathroom break @ 6:15 and then put her back in the crate. If she whines, ignore her.

That way she'll learn that whining will only get her a bathroom break, and nothing else.

needed to be posted again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast