Sleeping through the night......NOT!

Thread: Sleeping through the night......NOT!

DefaultSleeping through the night......NOT!

Can anyone tell me at what age their lab puppy slept through the night without waking up? Max is 5 months old and gets up once around 4:00AM (which is fine, because he has to go potty & always does his business) once he's done, I put him back in his crate. Once he's back in he sleeps for MAYBE a half hour before crying again. I know he doesn't have to go to the bathroom & just wants out. I try to ignore him but he just gets louder. During the week, I usually just get up because I have to go to work anyway but this is really putting a damper on my catching up of sleep on weekends. Any suggestions or maybe a glimmer of hope that once he hits a certain age I don't have to get up at 4:30 on my days off......

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Sleeping through the night......NOT!

Where is his crate? Maggie still does not sleep through the night and she's almost 14 weeks now. When we first got her however, she had never seen a crate before and DID NOT like it at all. We had the crate in our bedroom but across the room from us. She would whine and whine almost every 1/2 hour through the night. Then a light bulb went on for me and I put the crate next to our bed. Since then she never whines at all. I stick my hand through the bars to comfort her as well. This might work for you.

Thank you for the suggestion. His crate is already next to our bed. I'm wondering if I shouldnt put his crate in another room after his 4AM potty break & just let him cry it out. At least in the meantime we can get some sleep. If he knows we're not there he may quiet down faster than if he knows we are since we always let him out when he cries. I don't know, it would upset me to know he's alone in the dark upset but I just can't think of anything else.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Is it starting to get light in the mornings where you are?? It may be the Internal Hunting Clock -- the one that says the dog must get up at sunrise and go-go-go all day long -- starting to ring. We face this every Spring, as Wesley is very in tune with his IHC and feels the need to tell me a couple times a morning that dawn is, indeed, breaking... "Dad? DAD!! DAWN!!!"

If that's the case, teach the SETTLE command. It has been our savior.

And know that next fall, when you're waking him, the shoe will be on the other foot.