Sigh...Remy HATES the crate

Thread: Sigh...Remy HATES the crate

Retriever Mama is offline Senior Member

DefaultSigh...Remy HATES the crate

He doesn't make the fuss he used to when he's in there...well, unless we're in the car..but the issue is: I can't get him to go in! I hate having to shove him in the thing...but I gotta go to work buddy! I've tried throwing toys in there...he's always got treats in there....I've been using it as a toy box during his "free" time so he has to go in and out if he wants his stuff. But he's on to me. If I start throwing kibble or a cookie or a stuffed kong in there? He backs away from the crate and looks at me like "no way mama...you're gonna shut that door and I don't want to be stuck in there - treats or no treats!" We've also been putting his meal bowls at feeding time in the crate...the past few days he's been wary of going in. A Lab that won't eat dinner? Whassup with that? My golden was a sucker for treats getting thrown in the crate and would always go in...any suggestions on what I can do for the little guy?
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Sigh...Remy HATES the crate

Do you only put him in the crate when you're leaving? I would try to put him in there when you're home so that he doesn't associate the crate with being alone and bored. Also something that REALLY helped Maggie was to turn on a radio while we are gone and she's crated. She hated the crate at first and now most of the time she'll go in with the aide of a stuffed kong or chew toy.

Quote Originally Posted by map1986
    Do you only put him in the crate when you're leaving? I would try to put him in there when you're home so that he doesn't associate the crate with being alone and bored. Also something that REALLY helped Maggie was to turn on a radio while we are gone and she's crated. She hated the crate at first and now most of the time she'll go in with the aide of a stuffed kong or chew toy.
    Nope...he goes in there when we are home in the a.m. getting ready for work and he has some down time in there while hubby and I have dinner and watch a tv show before he gets his late night romp in. Plus his big sister Brooklyn is always stopping by to check on him...and wake him up...

And hubby and I are debating the radio question. We are getting the impression he settles down much quicker when its quiet. Especially in the car. I had always used it for my golden...now we haven't been turning it on because he's squawkin'.
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Piper and I break with most the advice here on this issue. I adopted Piper at about 4 months old and planned on using a crate. I would serve her meals in there, put in treats and toys, leave the door open throughout the day, tried avery trick and tip given. No luck. She would refuse to eat meals if they were in the crate, even moist food. I would put her in the crate in the AM when leaving for work with treats and toys and when I came home for lunch she would still be whining and would not have touched a single treat or toy. Had to shove her in each and every time. This went on for weeks, until it was just too stressful for both of us. I know all the advice is to crate train, but I gave up. I switched to putting her in one room of the house, blocked off with a baby gate. She was still stressed when I left, but would play and eat while I was gone. Would a setup like that be possible?

DefaultRe: Sigh...Remy HATES the crate UPDATE!!

I have found the trick to getting Remy in his crate! I can't believe this is what does it, but it does it EVERY SINGLE TIME. You'll never guess....

Carrot.

Itty bitty pieces of carrot that I bite off a bigger piece of carrot in front of him with a loud crunch and accumulate in my hand. He goes SPASTIC trying to jump up and get them from me....and then I toss them in his crate and in he goes.

HOORAY!!

And he's settled down in there much better. We've learned to recognize his sharp bark in the middle of the night which means "Come get me or you're gonna have to wash the crate" and, not counting the bout of diarrhea we had, we've had no accidents.
    Melissa, Remy & Brooklyn

Don't know if this will help in your case, but I thought I'd offer it just in case. Potter loves his crate when he was very little. Then we went out of town and took him with us. We stayed at a friend's house and for reasons it would take too long to explain here, didn't make him sleep in his crate while we were there. He got to sleep on the bed with us. Of course when we got home he wanted nothing to do with his crate. So for a few days we would take him out directly before leaving the house, then lead him into his crate on his leash. He's more prone to just go that way, and that way we weren't pushing him. Then we would lavish him with all kinds of crazy praise, "Good crate, Potter!" and give him a great treat. Within 3 or 4 days, he was back to loving his crate, still does.

I hope you find something that works for you. Good luck!

sarah is offline Senior Member

We give Milly a radio and a clock - she loves the clock. She sleeps with her head on it it's so cute!

Except for the time we came out because she was barking and wouldn't stop - she was barking at her crate which is strange for her and then we realised that the clock had an alarm and the alarm was going off. I think it scared her hehe!! We got a cheap clock at the shops cause she licks and chews it too. But she wouldn't sleep in the crate at night if she didn't have her clock when we first got her.

Maybe try those when you're not home to keep Remy company? Milly likes having the radio on too - she'll lay in her crate and chew a toy if the radio is on. But I think we have a puppy who loves electronics cause she loves the TV too!

Itty bitty pieces of carrot that I bite off a bigger piece of carrot in front of him with a loud crunch and accumulate in my hand. He goes SPASTIC trying to jump up and get them from me....and then I toss them in his crate and in he goes.

HOORAY!!
    Also, another thing we have found with Milly is frozen baby carrots. Because she is teething and she ALSO LOVES CARROTS we buy the baby ones and freeze them and give her one when we leave and she will chew it and chew it till it defrosts and she then eats it. It helps with her teething and it's not high in calories so it's not bad for her. Just a thought as it might work for you too!

cheers, Sarah
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia