11 weeks old, day three, and some questions.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11 weeks old, day three, and some questions.

vicali is offline Junior Member

Default11 weeks old, day three, and some questions.

First night of crate training, Bella went in at 11, barked and whined for half an hour, and then was quiet. I took her out at 1:30, and she went pee, but was more excited to be out. She went back in and was quiet in 5 minutes. Out again at 4:00 with a monster poop, and then quiet until we got her up at 6:00. When I got her out at 4 she has made a small mess in her crate, but followed through outside once she was out.

We had a few questions;
    -We put her leash on to take her out to the potty spot, once she is there we stand and tell her potty, she either goes and then gets showered in ‘good girls’ and pets, or lays down and looks bored. We take her out after every eat, sleep, hourly etc. I wonder if she is going out too often?

-During the day we both work, from 7:30 to 4:30, we work within 5 minutes from home though so I can be back and forth as many times as I need, (starting at two, one @11 and one @2.) during the day she is inside her 42” high kennel/playpen, with her crate (she isn’t crate happy yet). She messes the kennel in the first 5 minutes or so whether she has been potty’d and tired out right before or not, she also barks/whines when she is not with us.
    Any suggestions?
    We don’t like the idea of having her in crate from 7:30 to 4:30 daily and then 11 to 6 at night, 16 hours a day or is that alright? Am I’m looking at cleaning the kennel three times a day until she can hold it? Not that it would be a problem, just trying to be prepared. Eventually she can be outside in the backyard during the day, but not while she is a puppy.

Mike, Sandy, and Bella

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Decided on three visits during the day, 2.5hrs apart, 9:45, 12:00, 2:25.
    first visit today was a success, no mess, no fuss, potty outside and a little running around, back in kennel, and quiet, all in 20mins.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

I think that sounds like a plan. At 11 weeks she should have no problem holding it that long. She should be able to make it through the night as well - out at 11 or midnight - in crate til 6. She should be OK.

Do take her out after every meal - she will likely poop immediately. But try to set a schedule for other potty trips.

Was the breeder working on potty training her? She should be almost done at this age.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Was the breeder working on potty training her? She should be almost done at this age.
    she was trained with pine shavings at the kennel, then had access to a run where the puppies could do their business. not house trained.

she goes out after every meal and water, and at other times throughout the day.

we have a kennel/playpen and a crate, she is on her second night in the crate and doing well, a tiny mess when I got her out at 2:30, and then finished outside.

she doesn't like to be left in the kennel yet, she barks and sometimes messes even right after going potty outside.

we'll see what day 4 brings.
    thanks,
    mike

day four,

three check ins, three messes. when I come in she is standing in her poop looking at me with puppy eyes.

we go outside right away to go potty, (unsuccessfully) and then come in and clean up. natures miracle everything and set her up again.

hmm, hopefully today is an off day.

yesterday was better, clean visits and potty outside. I'm wondering if she should be in her crate during the day or in the x-pen?

we leave for work at 7:30, and I can be home at lunch for an hour of play, then home from work at 4:30.

we are heading to the farm for a week, so we get to run around outside lots and get some energy out.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

IMO she is less likely to pee/poop in an enclosed space than she would in an x-pen. Is the crate small enough (or is the crate divided) so that there is not excessive room?

Some puppies will consider a large crate their den and not make a mess in there - others will poop on one side and sleep on the other. Since the breeder did not work to house train (not great) you have a puppy who is very accustomed to relieving herself near where she sleeps. The smaller the sleeping space you allow the better. I would divide the crate to make it big enough for her to stand and turn around and not much bigger.

And she is quite a beauty!
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

dhamblin is offline Junior Member

Defaultmesses in crate

just wondering how your crate training is going? my chocolate lab is 11 weeks and we leave him home all day in his crate 730-5 and at night 11-6.

We made his crate small by putting a large rubbermaid tote at the one end, or use the divider in the crate if you got one of those, since dogs dont like to pee where they sleep. Choco's never had an accident once!

Crate training has gone very well, Bella is fine in her crate during the day; 8-12, out for an hour and back in 1-4, no messes since we stopped leaving her in the ex-pen.

This week is 'sleep through the night' week; I've been letting her out between 3 and 5 but am starting to notice that either I'm waking her up to go out, or she does her business but doesn't really have to.

One thing is that after switching her food and getting her dewormed (eww she did have worms) she is getting much more regular. lol.

mike

kaznalf is offline Senior Member

I dont think you can take them out too often but dont be worried if she doesnt go out everytime...on a leash is good stops them getting distracted and they then tend to know when they get out on that certain spot they have to go pee pee

As for the visits when she is old enough walk her before work and after and then pop home at lunch I would you will find she will sleep...also leave with a kong. HTH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast