Dog Makes My Wife Crazy During The Day...HELPPPP!!!!

Thread: Dog Makes My Wife Crazy During The Day...HELPPPP!!!!

DefaultDog Makes My Wife Crazy During The Day...HELPPPP!!!!

I really need any help I can get right now! My wife is a stay at home type now. The kids are at school and she is all alone with the dog and cat all day. She is a BeautiControl Rep and one of the lead Class Mothers for my sons school so she keeps her day to day pretty busy. While she is at home a good part of the day her time is limited to interact with the dog. So the dog proceeds to terrorize the house and everything in it. Chasing the cat, up on the counters eating the people food, tearing up toys, pillows, shoes, asking to go out (by ringing a bell) a thousand times a day even after just coming back in from being out, blatantly not listening when called especially if she is greeting someone, ect., ect., ect.

All of this behavior stops when I walk in the door, she listens to me, obeys well, still chases the cat a bit and occasionally gets on the counter but for the most part she is extremely good for me for a 1 year old Lab. I have tried to explain to my wife that she is a puppy and needs to get out and exercise, but my wife will not take her out and throw the ball for her because she does not listen to her, and her attempts at walks don't seem to calm the dog down any. We are scheduled for our second round of obedience training in March which I am going to make her go instead of me, so maybe she will learn to control her more. I am looking for any sort of help I can get at this point as I am tired of seeing my wife in tears and so frustrated. I have my own ideas on how to solve some of the problems but it will be better hearing from the group. I not only want the dog to listen to me, I want the dog to listen to my wife or any human that the dog may come in contact with, is this asking too much? Keeping in mind she is one year old puppy are there any exercises that my wife can do during the day to help the dog understand that she is the boss? Any other suggestions out there?

thanks for your time
    JAJ

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Dog Makes My Wife Crazy During The Day...HELPPPP!!!!

I think your plan in perfect - your wife MUST do this obedience class with the dog. She needs to learn how to properly interact with the pup and get her to listen.

Also - I recommend crate training (if this isn't already done) and crating the dog for a few hours during the day. This gives your wife time to work quietly.

Do you take the dog out before heading to work? If not, and your wife doesn't because "the dog doesn't listen" then you are leaving a fully loaded dog for your wife. Is there any way you can take the pup out for some exercise (a walk, throwing the ball in the yard...).

Others will have better recommendations on how to get your wife to interact with the dog so she is the leader. But if she could feed the dog, that would be a start (making the pup do a sit/stay). If she has to leash the dog at first in order to ensure the sit/stay do that.

this is going to take time and unfortunately, the ball is in your wife's hands. I do believe the obedience class should help a great deal (if your wife goes!). best of luck to the two of you.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I agree with the above. it sounds like the dog is totally bored out of her mind, which will lead to her "terrorizing" the house. The energy has to come out somehow, if you (or your wife) don't provide an outlet for it, the dog will find one, be it destroying your stuff, driving you crazy, etc.

This is going to take some work on your wife's part, she's the only one who can improve her relationship with the dog, you can't do it for her. Does she understand this?

I think the training class will help immensely.
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Have you ever thought about doggie daycare? Maybe even a couple of days a week would ease the burder on your wife..it has mine!!

Sounds like she has to go.....I hope she can find a new husband who doesn't like pets. :P

I agree with the classes. If she refuses then she should definately start NILF training and even crating her for portions of the day is probably preferable to her destroying things. Eventually she could find something that would do her harm.

Best of luck.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Sounds as though you have a perfectly normal Lab on your hands. Young Labs are exuberant, energetic, in-your-face and demanding -- it's part and parcel with the breed. Heck, my adult Labs which are more than several years older than yours still behave like that.

I think it is a simple case of the dog being under stimulated. If your wife won't exercise or stimulate the dog the dogs behaviour, which is perfectly normal given the context, will continue. Throwing the ball around in the yard doesn't cut it. Short walks on the leash won't, either. You and your wife need to create a routine for the dog -- a routine which includes more structured exercise.

Structured exercise MUST include walking. Walking at least once per day is essential for the mind. You don't mention how often or how long your wife walks your dog for, but a good 45 minutes to one hour a day is a good place to start. From experience with my own dogs, providing they get an hour of off leash exercise per day, they are more than happy.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Everything others have said, but add one more. The dog has figured out what it can get away with when you are not present. Your wife has to take control in your absence.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    Everything others have said, but add one more. The dog has figured out what it can get away with when you are not present. Your wife has to take control in your absence.
    With that being said the dog believes it is the more dominant, He can get away with anything he wants because he is the leader when you are gone. To fix the problem fix this, have your wife take him for a walk as often as possible, and teach her how to be in control.

Thanks to all for all the great suggestions. Hopefully the obedience classes will work, and upon several suggestions we have tried to structure our day so that our pup gets out for a walk (20 to 40 minutes) in the morning that I do and then one in the afternoon which my wife will be doing. We have also changed the feeding time to late afternoon so that my wife is the one feeding her. It was good to hear some of you say that it is really up to her as I think she needed to hear that from someone else besides me. In the mean time I am doing my best to leave her with an unloaded (great term!) dog while I head off to work. Seems to me that the walk is really key here, she really does seem a little more unloaded when I am leaving!

Thanks again, any other suggestions are welcome still!

JAJ