Pup barking a lot in crate!

Thread: Pup barking a lot in crate!

ksweber is offline Member

DefaultPup barking a lot in crate!

Loving our new 9 wk pup, but please tell me she will outgrow very insistent barking in crate? Crate is in breakfast room area of kitchen where she can see us, so it's in the middle of everything - our meals, etc. She's doing pretty well sleeping quietly in it at night after we "put her to bed" (sit beside the crate for a few minutes and talk soothingly until she lies down and quiets down, but not fully asleep.) We need to use crate for periods during the morning/evening/daytime too, and that's when she's barking. I tried leashing her in kitchen when I'm in there working, and sometimes it works, but other times she bucks and strains on the leash until gagging. If not crated, we're getting lots of potty in the house when we can't watch her. So some daytime crate sessions is a must. Here's what I'm doing/trying:

- I say a low, slow "quieeeet" (like "eeaassyy") and feed her treats through the bars when she is quiet. She will usually quiet down when we approach the crate and kneel down.

- Anytime I catch her being quiet, I praise her: "goooood quiet" and give a treat.

- We are trying to totally ignore barking to extinguish it. Make her think barking has no effect on us. We're not yelling "no!" when she barks; trying not to even look at her. But I'm sure we have inadvertently responded/rewarded it sometimes.

- We have a sheet covering the crate on 3 sides and top to give her a sense of coziness and privacy. Sometimes if she's barking a lot, I cover crate entirely, thinking her seeing us provokes her more?

- We have lots of various chew toys in crate, but she doesn't seem to be into any of them.

- I leave on talk radio when we're not there to give human voices to listen to. I do think this helps somewhat, but not a cure-all.

Do all pups do this, or do I have a barky lab? Any other suggestions? Thank you all!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Milesmom is offline Senior Member

Not all pups do that, but I think many do. It sounds like you are doing the right things. Do not ever let her out of the crate if she is barking. Then she is getting what she wants and the barking worked.

Ann & Miles
    MACH ARCHEX "Miles" (DOB 3/10/2006) UD RAE MXS MJS OF CW-OB3 CW-ARF CW-AR CW-ZR2 CL-1 (DOB 3/10/2006)
    "Hartley" (DOB 7/21/2012) RN CGC CW-OB1

marci is offline Junior Member

Hi KSWeber -

we have learned from experience to also place a soiled (worn) shirt of yours or your husbands in the create with the puppy - this will give him/her your sent and will also help calm them down. It worked well for our now 13 yr old yellow and is working for our 9 week old chocolate!!

Good luck! Blessings!!! - Marci

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by marci View Post
    Hi KSWeber -

we have learned from experience to also place a soiled (worn) shirt of yours or your husbands in the create with the puppy - this will give him/her your sent and will also help calm them down. It worked well for our now 13 yr old yellow and is working for our 9 week old chocolate!!

Good luck! Blessings!!! - Marci
    Until they eat it.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.