Just Labradors banner

Running Away

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  chris_piper 
#1 ·
My 1 yr old lab keeps running away when we turn our backs (I'll be shoveling snow and she'll bolt as soon as she can). If I catch her and tell her to stop she stops most of the time. Most of the time she comes back after a few minutes and then comes and goes a couple times while we are outside working in the yard. Because we have so much snow, she figured out how to jump out of her kennel recently and now just about every day she runs away. We tried an in ground fence and she figured out that if she just ran really fast the shock would be over really fast so she would bolt through it and then run off. Most of the time we run with her, I've started hunting with her, she retrieves doubles and is learning to come and go on whistle, so really, this is the main training issue we are having and we have no idea how to get her to stop trying to run away. She was just recently spayed and is generally a pretty great dog. Any suggestions?

#3 ·
Mainly just don't give her the oppertunity. Keep her on a long line when your outside with her so you can grab it or keep it attached to you. It sounds like she's outside when your not there in a kennel?? Not something I recommend but maybe putting some type of top of her kennel would help and it would help keep the wind out as well. I would prefer you had her inside in a crate though. Work on her recall and make it fun to come to you never dicipline or scold her when she comes or stops so you can get her. Mainly just take away the oppertunity for her to bolt and work on a solid recall, stay with her.

#4 ·
For the last couple weeks, she has had little if any exercise outside because we've been getting snowed on every single day (in Utah by Park City). Normally, we run with her every day about 5 miles a day and she does great with that. I would guess that is part of it lately because she and all of us are ready to get outside more but can't because of 60 mph winds and 5-10 feet of snow (though it is really fun to watch her try and run in the deep snow when it is way over her head).

#5 ·
you answered your own question. you can skip a day or two due to bad weather but after that you need to get out there and give her some good exercise. Sounds like the solution is simple at that - throw a toy and have her fetch in the deep snow, it'll tire her out quickly.

#6 ·
Well, she really shouldn't be running with you for 5 miles before she turns two to begin with...the damage you can be doing to her joints is irreversable. Put her on a 50 ft. check line and attach it to you. Then work on her recall....daily...with that check cord. It doesn't matter if she can do doubles or blinds, if you can't get her to come back, she's worthless as a hunting partner. And as for the kennel thing and the invisible fence...stop using them if she knows how to beat them. Crate her inside while you are away. Don't let her off a check lead outside. And then do ANY form of exercise, mentally and physically to help burn energy.

#7 ·
She doesn't run away when I'm around playing with her or watching her. She comes back whenever I'm doing hunting training and is very excited and into it when we do retrives with dummys (very focussed and as attentive as I think a 1 yr old puppy could be). She only runs away when I'm doing things like yard work or shoveling snow and turn my back for a minute or two. Most of the time, she'll sit and stay for several minutes as long as I'm paying attention but then she'll get what seems to be kind of sneaky and wait until I'm not really paying attention. She'll walk really slowly to the end of the driveway and when she thinks I'm not looking she will run. If I catch her before she gets out of sight and yell no to her when she is running away, she stops and comes back almost immediately. She comes to me about 90% of the time right on command and the other 10% is generally caused by distractions (the neighbors puppy, the neighborhood kids running around). I don't have a crate because she outgrew the old one but I ordered one that is supposed to come any day now. We generally just keep her in our laundry room with a bed and she sleeps inside in the laundry room and is generally comfortable there.

What do you do for a 50' check cord or where do you get one?

#8 ·
I know our Local pet store sells 20' and 30' leash type check lines you can also use nylon rope and tie a D-clip on the end to hook to her collar the only thing is it's hard on the hands if you have to grab it. It sounds like the check line will help a lot so she will stay in your sight.
If you can't get outside with her to exercise her try to do some mental training inside it can be just as good to get rid of some energy. Work on obedience commands. Hide food or a stuffed kong around the house so she has to search for it. Stuff that makes her think.

#9 ·
My Bess had to have daily vigorous exercize. On those days when the weather was too bad (severe lightning in the area) I had her retrieve in the house. A friend had given me a dozen duck wings and I hid them upstairs for her to find -- at first in real easy to find places and then progressively harder. It took me one trip up the stairs and 12 for her.

If she came down with the expression on her face of "I can't find it!" I'd send her back up again.

Not as good as running and retrieving outside but it got us through to another day.

#10 ·
I just wanted to reiterate what someone said. Running that dog 5 miles each day at that age could be doing serious harm to your dog.

#12 ·
Tanya said:
Fletchs Pop said:
I just wanted to reiterate what someone said.  Running that dog 5 miles each day at that age could be doing serious harm to your dog.
i agree
Ditto.

I find people always neglect the mental stimulation that dogs desire/need. Even if you can't physically exercise them, you can still work their brain, which is easy to do even if you're snowed in.  ;)

Also, keep her on a line outside. Even if she's "pretty good" about staying by you, all it takes is one time running out in the street for her to be flattened by a passing car, and that is NOT a chance I would take. Even if I was 200% confident my dog would stick around outside, all it takes is that one time.  :-\

Also, you said that "with all the snow she's figured out how to get out of her kennel"..... is her kennel outside..?

#13 ·
Baloo317 said:
Also, keep her on a line outside. Even if she's "pretty good" about staying by you, all it takes is one time running out in the street for her to be flattened by a passing car, and that is NOT a chance I would take. Even if I was 200% confident my dog would stick around outside, all it takes is that one time. :-\
So true. My dad was walking Dryf one day down a quiet street. A car parked in their driveway on the other side of the street. They opened their door and a dog came flying out towards Dryf. The poor thing never made - he was hit by a car and died right there. The owners said he's never done that, always behaved and stayed near them. And this was a quiet residential side street. To this day this even haunts my dad (and now me)

This story reminds me that dogs are living creatures and no matter how well trained, one day they just might to after a squirrel and the worse may happen.

#14 ·
Also, keep her on a line outside. Even if she's "pretty good" about staying by you, all it takes is one time running out in the street for her to be flattened by a passing car, and that is NOT a chance I would take. Even if I was 200% confident my dog would stick around outside, all it takes is that one time.
This story reminds me that dogs are living creatures and no matter how well trained, one day they just might to after a squirrel and the worse may happen
Yup. This article/story really reiterates that:

http://www.shihtzurescue.us/trust.html

#15 ·
You say she doesn't run away when you are watching her...well then that is every reason to tether her to you. Hate to sound like captain obvious here.

#16 ·
We tried an in ground fence and she figured out that if she just ran really fast the shock would be over really fast so she would bolt through it and then run off
I would do some more training on your invisible fence. Put the flags back up, if you can (I know the ground is frozen and there's lots of snow) and do more training. Make sure the batteries in the collar are new and working well, and consider getting a stronger collar. We had to get a 'stubborn' dog collar with adjustable correction levels because our 3 yr old lab was tough to train on our invisible fence.....the shock didn't bother him in the least. We've had very good success with a slightly stronger shock. Until your sure your dog is trained keep her on a long line and practise TONS of recalls, making it fun for your dog to come back to you. Surprise her with a hand full of treats every so often when she does a great recall.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.