HELP with biting lab please!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP with biting lab please!

DefaultHELP with biting lab please!

My pup is biting REALLY hard! She will bite down and shake her head like she does with her toys. She comes extremely close to breaking the skin as well. I read in a few other posts that you should say OW! and freeze...well I do this and she keeps biting. I need advice!!!!! She has brought me to tears with her bites at least three times tonight! I don't know what to do!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: HELP with biting lab please!

I've been having the same problem since I adopted Toshi! She is 5.5 months old now and still bites, although not as hard any more. While she had her baby teeth they were like little razors and I had cuts and scraps all up and down my arms and my hands and fingers. I was at first trying really hard to make her stop but I like to get on the floor and roll around with her and play kinda rough too, and her only means to really have fun also is play biting. Over time Toshi has gotta really good at being more careful and not breaking my skin. On one hand I want her to stop, but on the other I have fun with her aggressiveness! Once she gets her adult teeth in; while larger yes, but they're more round and not as sharp it won't be as bad if it takes awhile to break her of the biting.

For a couple weeks she started getting way more hyper and started biting harder and I got some advice from a member here thats works really well. However I don't use it all the time cause I don't mind Toshi play biting me when I'm playing with her. Anyway what has been working and if u do it on a regular basis and want ur puppy to stop in a short while, is when shes biting you, take ur hand while sticking out both sides of her mouth and ram it/slide it to the back of her mouth forcing her jaws open. You'll be able to tell right away its very uncomfortable for her and might make her yelp and say "no bite" "don't bite" whatever ur using for the training! Then remove your hand quickly and go away from her...let her know ur serious and u don't like it. After awhile play with her and do it again when she bites, then walk away! This does work but will require plenty of sessions until she will catch on entirely.

Now since I prefer my puppy to play bite me and I don't want to break her entirely I stay with her on the floor and hold my hand in the back of her mouth...looking into her eyes while saying "no bite" and I hold my hand there for about 5-10 secs then I use the "easy" command{sometimes several times}. At which point I will slowly move my hand from her mouth but not entirely making sure its her that moves her mouth away from where I'm holding my hand. Sometimes she'll slowly close her jaw to see if my hand is still there, but never bites back down and will slowly move until she can close her mouth. {I use this method when she gets too rough which does happen sometimes to let her know that I'm still the Alpha.}

Its gonna be a little painful for awhile, but in time she will learn and become a very good companion, don't give up!

Thank you for the advice. She is doing better although she still tries to jump and bite my nose/face which can hurt A LOT! It's so weird though because last week this wasn't even an issue! She would bite, but it wasn't hard at all. And also, I had heard that you aren't supposed to let your dog mouth you because they are showing dominance, but that it's different for puppies because they are learning and also strengthening their jaws. So confusing! I'll keep on working with her and hopefully she'll grow out of this pretty quickly! My poor arms and hands could use it! :-\

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Two things worked for us -- Whenever Shelby would start getting wound up and nipping we would stand up straight and turn our backs to her ~ ignoring her. If she happened to chomp down first, I made a very sharp yelping sound. She didn't like that at all. All of the tricks and a big dose of patience will get you there.

Basically at around 41/2 to 5 months of age we noticed a big decrease -- and by the time all of her adult teeth were in, it had pretty much stopped.

Labs are a very mouthy breed ... make sure you have plenty of chew toys -- nylabones, etc.

How old is your puppy?? I wouldn't do what Toshi is suggesting on a puppy, although I do use it on full grown, mouthy dogs. For pups, I "bite them back". Put your hand over their muzzle, curl a bit of their lip over their own teeth and press until you get a reaction. Immediately present them with your hand again and if they bite, repeat. If they opt not to bite your hand again, make a big deal over them being a good puppy and give them something appropriate to bite.

Tanya is offline Senior Member

The puppy in question is about 10wks (did a search).

I agree with JacksAndLabs - I have not heard of sticking your hand down their mouth and with a small puppy that probably isn't even the easiest solution.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

TwoLabs is offline Member

Clancy was taught not to bite by this method:

-when puppy bites, immediately grab the lower jaw with thumb on tongue and fingers underneath.
    -gently give a little shake and say "no" or "no bite"
    - release and offer your hand; if they bite again, repeat; if they don't praise them up and down!

It was never done harshly or violently, but sure got the point across!

When I saw the title to this thread I had to lol NOT at your problem ...but because I spent more time on this issue than any other and it is what brought me to this and another lab forum. I had bite marks on face , arms and legs..yep he ran and jumped and bit us both...NOTHING worked..none of the correctons ..the yelps, the back to the dog...the grab the snout...zip..I got books I did it all..and was almost in tears daily...and glad when he went to bed. I had to resort to squirting his snout with water and a tad of vinegar for scent...even that wasn't a sure shot..He was playing HARD and DID draw blood now and then ...not deep bites but those teeth were sharp...MY dog had to out grow it...Now and then he will still play rough and he is big now almost 4 y/o (he weighs 82 pounds and is all muscle) but he hadnt broken my skin and could break my arm if he wanted to. In part I am letting you know this is not an aggression issue...IMO. THAT WAS MY FEAR....maybe it is yours...IT WILL END
    .My husband now and then dresses up in like a huge snow suit deal and plays HARD with him in the back yard ...the dog full body slams him and can and has knocked him down..hubby is 6'2 and 190 pounds...doggy bites the arms and all and at the end of the game..its the end and he comes in and lays on hubbys lap in the recliner...I THINK dogs like mine would have done well with a brother or sister to be playing with....Whatever you pick be consistent with it and as a pup I agree I would not do the whole arm in the mouth deal..I do do that with my dog now and then when we are hand playing and I can tell he is getting tooooooooo wound up....I dont hurt him just give him my whole arm SIDE WAYS...AND HE COULD SNAP IT IN TWO..and he lets up..I think it makes it less fun if its sooo easy....AND WEAR your dog out daily ...anything that your dog likes to play do it almost to exhaustion

Thanks for the information!! Maggie doing okay. We decided to do the "grab the bottom jaw and tongue" method. Maggie had her first vet appt. today and our vet agreed that that's the best thing she's found to work with puppies.

JustineNYC Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JacksAndLabs
    How old is your puppy?? I wouldn't do what Toshi is suggesting on a puppy, although I do use it on full grown, mouthy dogs. For pups, I "bite them back". Put your hand over their muzzle, curl a bit of their lip over their own teeth and press until you get a reaction. Immediately present them with your hand again and if they bite, repeat. If they opt not to bite your hand again, make a big deal over them being a good puppy and give them something appropriate to bite.
    Im going to have to try this cause Molly is getting worse with her biting. Her and Dale play rough and do bitey face and all, and then today she leaped up and almost took my lip off.

Im wondering if I should try and stop them from being so rough cause she isnt disgusting playing with him, and playing with me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast