Questions re house/crate training
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions re house/crate training

ksweber is offline Member

DefaultQuestions re house/crate training

Today is day 2 with 8 wk old female. We're in love. But ... not sure how to deal with some crate training and housetraining issues. Thanks for any advice! Here's the story:

- I'm home all day, so available to supervise her closely (though there are inevitable distractions on my part, like 2 kids, chores) and take her out hourly.
    - We have picked a consistent elimination spot and language ("go potty," which her breeder was using)
    - We have crate in kitchen and are working to make her happy there - feeding her in crate, treats and toys in crate, praise, etc.
    - She is very bonded to me (adorable) - loves being right at my feet, follows me everywhere I walk, etc., and ....
    - ... therefore, she hates being closed in her crate. Howls and whines. Prefers to be at my ankles wherever I am. Will happily flop down for a nap under my chair, but not in crate.
    - When she howls and whines in crate, I am torn between (a) not wanting to give in to it and teach her that whining is the way out, encouraging more whining/barking, and (b) not wanting to have her hate the crate, wanting it to be pleasant for her and not upsetting. What to do?
    - Even though I take her outside hourly (and say "go potty," the term her breeder used), we've had many episodes where we spend 15 minutes wandering and sniffing in her elimination spot with no results, ad then as soon as we go back inside, she pees or poops on the rug. Even though I'm supervising her as closely as I can, as soon as I turn my attention to something else, she pees.
    - Should I be crating her most of the time in the house to prevent accidents? What if she's howling the whole time?
    - Today or tomorrow, I'm going to start needing to leave the house for brief periods, 30-60 mins. She will scream and howl in her crate - is this how it's done til she gets used to it?
    - At night (2 nights so far), she screams and howls in the crate if she can't see me, so I've been sleeping on the floor next to crate, and then she's quiet. I'm going back to my bed tonight! :-) It's not feasible to have crate in our bedroom, so she needs to sleep in crate in kitchen alone. Do I just let her cry it out?

Thanks everyone!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mrbacklash is offline Member

Well I am in the same position you are last night we covered the crate with a blanket and put some soft music next to her and some part of that helped out. She would whine for about 10 min after being put back in after pottying in the middle of the night and then she is out for about 3 hrs. There is definitely some good advice from some very knowledgeable people here.

ksweber is offline Member

Thanks mrbacklash. How's she doing in crate during daytime? Are you covering it?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Not covering during the day yet hopefully the whining quits soon before I get evicted haha.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

This is one you just have to tough out. It is understandable that she is complaining - she was just taken out of a litter where she had company (other puppies and mom) all the time. Now she is alone in a strange environment.

My puppy was not and is not much of a fighter - he gave up on the complaining pretty quickly once we put him in his crate. I did spend the first couple of nights with him in a laundry basket next to my bed - he stayed in it and if he stirred in the night I talked to him and put my hand on his back. Needless to say - not great sleep for me.

Then I moved him to the crate - also in my bedroom - and again - he could hear me and I could settle him. Then we eventually (in a week of so) moved the crate to the kitchen where is remains. He marches himself into the crate every night at bedtime. He really likes it.

On the pottying outside - I would limit the exploring/walking around until she potties - then praise and if she wants to walkaround then - do so. Puppies are very easiy distracted. Once you figure out her schedule better and learn her body language better it'll be easier to anticipate when she has to go. If you catch her about to pee or poop indoors, scoop her up (yes, mid-pee) and bring her outside repeating your key word. She'll get it quickly.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Jacque is offline Member

Jazz (5 months old) will cry in her crate if she knows I am home. She will relax but the second she sees me walk by, she will jump up and down and whine. Her crate is in our bedroom so if for any reason she needs to be in the crate while I am there (bringing in groceries, etc) I shut the bedroom door and turn the TV on. We take a long walk and play pretty hard before bed time so that she sleeps better and through the hole night. I've tried covering the crate but she ends up pulling the sheet through the bars (LOL). I was curious one day as to how long she cries when I leave the house so I stood outside by the front door. She only did it for maybe 3-5 minutes. I think they stop when they realize your not there to listen. When our other dog was a pup, we were asking the vet about potty training tips and he said that whenever you aren't paying attention to the dog, it should be in the crate. I see the reasoning but that was hard for me to do because I loved her following me around the house.
    As far as the potty situation, Jazz will explore forever if I let her, so what I do is go to the potty spot (she is on the leash) and plant my feet in the ground...I say "go potties" until she does, praise her (big time), THEN we can walk around for a bit. I tried giving her treats when she pottied outside but I think she got confused, would pee in the house and then run to me for a treat (LOL) so we stopped the treats.
    To me it sounds like you just have a normal puppy. =-) Most of these things just take time, patience and consistancy. Our other dog loved her crate and would sleep in it with the door open. Good luck to ya!! =-)
    -JACQUE

joesalinger is offline Junior Member

My puppy used to hate being in a crate. She cried all night long, and then I bought her large dog bed that fit right into her kennel. Ever since she's been doing great. I think it was just too uncomfortable in there for her.
    A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life--Charles Darwin
    Professional card shuffler

Last night was great she woke up at 1AM and then when I got up at 6 thats the best yet. Finally found a wind up alarm clock I think that had alot to do with it.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by joesalinger View Post
    My puppy used to hate being in a crate. She cried all night long, and then I bought her large dog bed that fit right into her kennel. Ever since she's been doing great. I think it was just too uncomfortable in there for her.
    This is OK if your puppy is not a chewer. It can be dangerous otherwise. Mine has an old quilt in his crate - and honestly, most mornings it is pushed over to the side and he is sleeping on the tray. Labs like cold hard surfaces.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Re: the whining -- our dogs are very social animals and hate to be separated from from their kith and kin -- so they cry in protest. When Puff was a young pup, she did the same thing so I spent as much time as possible in the kitchen dining area (to which she was puppygated). And when crated for sleeping at night beside my bed, I put some well worn unwashed sock and underwear in her crate with her.

Re: the house/P&P training --

#1 -- When a pup pees (or poops) anyplace inside the house, after cleaning it up with detergent & water, THEN clean it again with OTC 3% Hydrogen Peroxide OR "Nature's Miracle" so that the residual odor (unsensed by humans but definitely sensed by dogs) does not continue to broadcast invitations "here's a swell place to pee near again"

#2 -- You might read my post (#19) to mrbacklash's OP on Lab Chat (7-25) titled something like 'living on the third floor' about my experience with indoor potty training.

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 07-30-2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: correct a date
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast