The Heel Command at a Stand-still...Can Someone Help Please???

Thread: The Heel Command at a Stand-still...Can Someone Help Please???

KellyJean Guest

Smile:)

Last edited by KellyJean; 05-20-2010 at 12:45 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I'm not sure exactly what your end goal is - it sounds more like coming when called, but instead of sitting in front, you want her in heel position, at your side?

If you ever want to compete in obedience, you do NOT want this. Big no-no.

However, if you have no intentions of competition, start from scratch, with new cue words - not heel, and not your standard recall word. Start very easily, with a food lure - give the cue, show the lure and walk a few steps forward, luring her into the position you want and then rewarding. Add the sit once you are getting her to stay at your side, rather than in front.

then you want a rock solid sit-stay... work on the sit-stay at home, with little distraction, then slowly increase the distraction and length of time she is staying seated, at your side..

A good basic obedience class (either a private lesson, or a group session) will help you both.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Jefferson'n'Ted is offline Senior Member

You probably need to think of another word for the sit when you want her to sit at your side, as she obviously thinks sit means in front.
    I would start by standing in front of her, then using a food lure to bring around to your side and into a sitting position. This is how I was taught to bring my dog around to my side from a front. You could use: close, or by me, or anything else that makes sense to you.
    You can gradually increase the distance from her when you give the command.
    “If I know every single phone call you’ve made, I’m able to determine every single person you’ve talked to; I can get a pattern about your life that is very, very intrusive. And the real question here, is what do they do with this information that they collect – that does not have anything to do with al-Qaeda? And we’re gonna trust the president and the vice president that they’re doing the right thing? Don’t count me in on that.”
    Joe Biden, 2006

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I believe that many folks use,

Sit: Sit where you are, right now.
    Front: Sit in front of me, facing me.
    Heel: At my left knee, facing forward. Walking with me if I am walking, sitting on stopping, or just standing there.

Sounds like your dog is responding to Sit as Front. You probably trained him that way.
    Heel is for movement only, again probably trained that way.
    It would probably be best to pick a new command, does not even have to be a real word, and train you dog that it means to return to you from wherever and sit on your left side. I certainly would not try to retrain an existing command, it would just make it harder on the dog and yourself.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

ecoulson is offline Junior Member

This is something that Atticus and I worked on from day one. The way we accomplished it was to create two commands out of one. Heel means stand next to me and walk (if he strays) and Heel Up means come and sit at my left side (at stoplights and when we meet other dogs and people).

The way we accomplished this was with treats we would walk on a short leash with him on my left side and when he would pull I would give the command "Heel" and draw him back to my side and reward when he was where I wanted him. Then we would stop (every few feet in the beginning and now only at stop lights) I would give the command "Heel Up" and put the treat right on his nose and draw him into a sit the motion is like setting a parking brake in a car and reward when he was sitting where I wanted him.

Obviously like all training we are always working on it but it is going great now and he can tell the difference even though they are very similar commands.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in a hunting situation, you wouldn't want her straying from your side in the first place - it's just not safe. So I would concentrate on getting her to stay put, no matter what, first and foremost.