The Puppy Diaries
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Puppy Diaries

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultThe Puppy Diaries

A starting NYT series on getting a puppy (a Golden Retriever):

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/22/ga...upblog.html?em

(You might be interested in the readers' comments. I was surprised to see so much anger, holier than thou scorn, of the author's choice of source for a puppy. It was SO massive and SO few on that side actually reported experience with shelter adopting that, IMO, I thought it was probably orchestrated as an attempt to bully the NYT, possibly by PETA?)

I thought the comments, criticisms, and suggested training resources mentioned in comment #6 were very good.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

hark67 is offline Senior Member

wow, Bob. Thanks for pointing out the comments section. I had been forwarded the article but had not read the readers comments at the bottom. I am flabbergasted by how onesided and nasty the comments are....blasting that woman for getting a dog from a breeder. I loved the comment asking if these same people that are blasting her for getting a puppy from a breeder are also blasting people who decide to have their own babies instead of adopting one.

I actually took offense to many of the comments. I got my dog from a reputable breeder. I feel I should not be condemned for my choice not to adopt from a shelter. My dog will never be cast aside...thanks to my breeder and to myself. I am a responsible dog owner. Making me for bad for my decision does nothing to solve the shelter problem. Go out and educate people who think dogs are material possessions...those people that think nothing of throwing their dogs away.
    Last edited by hark67; 07-27-2009 at 04:16 PM.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Yeah - I spent a lot of time thinking about those comments after reading through all of them. They come off like such zealots - they are surely turning off many more people than they are educating. And - the fact of the matter is that responsibly bred dogs are not the cause of shelters filling up. It's irresponsible breeding (of purebred dogs and mutts) and the inability of so many owners to truly commit to caring for their dog for a lifetime that leads to shelter overpopulation and millions of animals being euthanised. If the only dogs landing in a shelter were there because their owner died or lost a job - the population would be managable.

I find it really hard to wrap my mind around the notion that all responsible breeding should stop. I know that PETA is, in the end, against pet ownership - but could they really believe that is an achievable goal?
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I often read the reader's comments section in NYT articles that really interests me.

I've never seen so many comments eliminated by the moderatpr as in this article (it has maybe 4 - 10X the usual number) and I suspect, from the hostile attitudes of many surviving comments, that those deleted may have been even more flagrant.

So many of the hostile comments came in at the same or so near the same time, it gives me a very STRONG suspicion that the "adoption only" bias of many was orchestrated and triggered -- if not by PETA, then by some similar orgaization.

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":

They definately turned me off. You are right...acting like that to responsible pet owners is no way to solve the shelter problem.

Kudos to those people for saving the lives of dogs...they should absolutely be commended. Those "zealots".....that is another story.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

It is so very simplistic to think that if there were no puppies being born that people would adopt all the dogs in shelters and the glut of unwanted animals would be no more. It's great that more and more people adopt dogs - I have had several rescues - one of my Labs is a rescue. It's great that more and more people accept that neutering is necessary and responsible and the right thing to do. Education and positive outreach on both of these things has helped make a difference.

But - how much better would it be if the efforts of the zealots were focused on shutting down the sale of puppies in stores? If that were illegal, much of the impulse purchasing would go away. Puppy mills would lose their outlet and would likely fold (or be seriously impacted ).
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr. View Post
    I often read the reader's comments section in NYT articles that really interests me.

I've never seen so many comments eliminated by the moderatpr as in this article (it has maybe 4 - 10X the usual number) and I suspect, from the hostile attitudes of many surviving comments, that those deleted may have been even more flagrant.

So many of the hostile comments came in at the same or so near the same time, it gives me a very STRONG suspicion that the "adoption only" bias of many was orchestrated and triggered -- if not by PETA, then by some similar orgaization.

It makes me feel better to think that these responses were prompted by some group like Peta. You must be right....the general public couldn't possibly be so against breeders.

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

I clicked the link and it says it no longer exists at that location.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

I clicked the link and it says it no longer exists at that location.
    I just clicked it and it worked for me. If it still doesn't work for you, try this: Google NY Times When the page comes up for you, look for the SEARCH box (usually near the upper right) and type in the title: The Puppy Diaries - Taking the Plunge with a New Dog

Looking forward to this weekends piece(it is a weekly piece, right?) and the comments that will follow.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast