Keeping things out of mouth!!!

Thread: Keeping things out of mouth!!!

mosmama is offline Senior Member

DefaultKeeping things out of mouth!!!

OK, I've raised a chocolate lab before....11 years ago. 11 years later your patience level isn't quite what it used to be. I know what needs to be done, but does anyone have any ideas on how to keep every freakin' thing out of a 4 mos old mouth?? We go out to pee and pine cones, branches, leaves, etc go into his mouth. I know he's a pup, but everything is a game and I just need to know how to stop it or when will it stop? I tell him to "LEAVE IT"!! But it doesn't seem to do it.

(maybe I just need help with my patience...LOL)
    Mo
    May 17, 1998 - May 20, 2009

The Love of My Life
    Rest in peace my Sweet Chocolate
    I Love You and Miss You so much

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Duct tape.
    Just kidding!

It'll take a lot of patience and a keen eye. Last week my lab (3 1/2 months old) was unsupervised for a max of 5 minutes and he stole a diaper off the table on the deck and ate about 75% of it. Gone. Just like that. If we can't watch him he's in one of his 3 safe areas. Otherwise we have to be like hawks.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

That's a great one....DUCT TAPE

Do you give him a command, like leave it and end up saying it 1000 times in a ten min potty session? LOL

I know it's all about consistency, but Lord have mercy it's annoying some times!
    Mo

The Love of My Life

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

You are at a tough stage.

Try teaching leave it. You are going to have to trade with him for something better. TREATS! or toy. Always have something in your pocket for him.

As with any training, consistency is most important. If a pine cone was okay yesterday, why isn't it today?
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Like I've said it was so long ago that I've trained a pup. I can do it because Mo Man (God Rest His Soul) turned out wonderful. But I was younger than, too...

I will be taking Limo to training the beginning of August. That was the soonest I could get him in a class.

I'll try the treat thing. Thanks.
    Mo

The Love of My Life

LIMO

KellyJean Guest

Try bringing a toy along with you when you're out. When he gets something in his mouth that shouldn't be there, take it away (give him whatever command you do) and replace the object with one he can have (ie, the toy you've brought). I knew some people who had a black Lab with the same problem, eventually, he grew out of it, but he learned to love that favorite toy. So, even as an adult, when it's time to go for walks, he carries the toy the entire way, lol. He sniffs here and there, but he never drops his toy!

amazongold is offline Senior Member

You can do it, really you can! It's frustrating now, but it will get better every day. All of a sudden, you'll realize that when you say 'leave it,' he does!

Try using a sharp "nope!" when he starts to go for something. If he continues, then "leave it!" I found that the "nope!" seemed to work better to dstop them from taking something they shouldn't have, or from doing something they shouldn't. They learn that "nope!" means to stop whatever you are doing or were going to do!
    Jackie, Champ, and Buddy

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I tell him to "LEAVE IT"!! But it doesn't seem to do it.
    Tam, you can tell him "leave it", but unless you've taught him that command it's worthless.

The way I taught "leave it" :
    Go to a room and sit on the floor with him. Does he know "sit"? Make him sit and put something in front of him that's verrrry appealing to him. With a delicious treat in front of him, when he goes after the appealing item firmly say "leave it!" and redirect him with the treat. Reward with treat!

Do this over and over and over and over, everyday, several times a day. He'll get it.

I taught all 3 of mine like that and it worked like a charm.

Good luck, Tam!!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Jacque is offline Member

the leave it command is a good one to know.....especially if the time ever comes that he wants to pick up something hazardous....or you could just keep a squirt gun with ya. =-)
    -JACQUE