A Few Food Stories and a Shot Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Few Food Stories and a Shot Question

Finalyst is offline Member

DefaultA Few Food Stories and a Shot Question

First off, Hunter's breeder suggested we give him Iam's adult medium breed small chunks. It's the one with the green bag. So we have been feeding him that, but we noticed he's been scratching his belly and chest quite a bit.

After asking the vet about this we were told to change his diet, this is something I had been planning to do anyways. So in comes the Eukenuba Salmon and Rice food. We bought a small bag to see how it goes. We've been giving him 1/2 cup of the Iams and 1/2 cup of salmon and rice 3 times per day. Hunter is 14 weeks old.

So far he's been on this diet for a few days, I'm wondering how long it should be before I see results (if it was the food, we also suspect his love for laying in the grass). Also, when should I start giving him all of the new food? He doesn't seem to mind the taste. Do we mix the foods for taste purposes, or for stomach/intestinal purposes?

Another thing, back about a week ago I told my wife I had changed the measuring cup that we keep near his food to measure his portions. I switched from the 1/2 cup to the full cup for time saving pruposes. Her response was a surprised shock. It turns out she had been using the 1 cup as if it were a half cup. A look at Hunter brought everything into focus. The poor guy, after about 4 days (my wife feeds 1-2 times per day depending on schedule), he had grown quite a little belly. He's still working it off, but this weekend was our first day of puppy training and the pup was quite the pudge compared to a sleek and slim 13 week old Mastiff that was of comparable size. I'll try to get a picture of the budha belly up sometime.

That leads me to a question I have about shots. Our vet gave us Parvo shots to administer each week between vet visits. The reasoning being that parvo is a big dog killer in our area (San Bernardino, CA); although I believe it's mostly from dogs coming into contact with stray animals or animals kept outside, and our neighborhood doesn't get a lot of that due to being on the outskirts near mountain area. Anyhow, my question is, now that Hunter has begun puppy training and getting to be around other dogs, should we quit the shots or are we supposed to keep giving them to him as usual? Not really sure what to do, and wanted to get your opinion before I call the vet. Thanks
    Last edited by Finalyst; 07-13-2009 at 07:21 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

The usual protocol for switching foods for puppies is over a 9-12 day period. 3-4 days of feeding 3 parts old/familiar (0) to 1 part new. Then 3-4 days of feeding 2 parts old/familiar (0) to 2 part new (N). Then 3-4 days of feeding 1 part (0) to 3 parts (N). Then all new.

I don't know about the parvo shots -- ask your vet.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Just curious why he's not on puppy food?
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Just curious why he's not on puppy food?
    Yes, and why a medium breed puppy food? Labs should be fed a Large Breed Puppy food.

Some people think that because the Lab standards say that Labs are medium breed dogs, that means they should eat a food made for medium breed dogs.

BUT, canine nutritional scientists who research these matters have different standards for what adult size is a medium breed and which a large breed dog. And Labs are a Large Breed dog by their standards. (I think the dividing line for what constitutes a LB adult dog is over 25 kg (55 lbs), IIRC.)

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 07-13-2009 at 08:41 PM.

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":

Thanks Bob. I missed that part. Yep, a Lg Brd Puppy food is best for him.
    ~Samantha

The breeder we hooked up with has been breeding labs for 25 years. We trust she knows what's best for the pup. Hunter's dad was the 2003 Labrador Retriever Club of So. Ca. Best of Breed Winner. The breeder's experience is why we chose to listen to her regarding the food. But since it's giving him issues I went with the brand I see a lot of people feeding their dogs on this message board.

She spoke with me about studies that show puppy food is not good for the dog but the bottom line is there are studies that prove the case for both sides (puppy food vs adult food for pups).

Also, regarding large breed vs medium breed, I guess a debate could be made for that. But a debate could also be made that a Bull Mastiff and a Lab do not have the same nutritional requirements. Wouldn't you say? As with the puppy vs adult food, it's always open for debate.

Here's a pic of Hunter's pop, the puppy pictures of this dog are nearly identical to Hunter.

Last edited by Finalyst; 07-14-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Congratulations! You obviously did your homework and picked an excellent breeder. However, being a good breeder who wins shows doesn't guarantee that person also will be uptodate on all scientific canine nutritional studies and will be completely unbelieving any old wives tales, superstitions, or false beliefs.

The references below summarize the findings of many previous nutritional studies for dog breeds typically 55 lbs. or more at adult weight.

http://www.newmanveterinary.com/large.html

http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/l...%20puppies.pdf

http://www.greatdanelady.com/article...l_research.htm

The last one by greatdanelady summarizes a seminar on the similar nutritional requirements of large and giant beed dogs.

I think you missed my point. My point was to say that Hunter's breeder has gone through quite a bit of trial and error as far as bringing up lab pups. I'm assuming she's tried all different kinds of foods, as well as spoken to other breeder's who've done the same. She wants the best for her dogs, so why would she feed her dog food that will hurt him?

I skimmed through those three articles, all of which are mainly discussing great danes (none have a mention of a labrador retriever). Great danes are the size of small horses. If I read a study specifically tailored to labs or even one that mentioned labs I would be forced to give it some credence. But until then I'm not going to go against the breeder's recommendations for a study on great dane nutritional needs.
    Last edited by Finalyst; 07-14-2009 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Finalyst View Post
    I think you missed my point. My point was to say that Hunter's breeder has gone through quite a bit of trial and error as far as bringing up lab pups. I'm assuming she's tried all different kinds of foods, as well as spoken to other breeder's who've done the same. She wants the best for her dogs, so why would she feed her dog food that will hurt him?

I don't think he missed your point. No one is saying your breeder wouldn't do what they think is best for the dogs, but just because a breeder is amazing and has wonderful and beautiful dogs doesn't mean they know everything as far as nutrition is concerned. Keep this in mind -- not all dogs, even of the same breed, do well on the same food, so what might be good for the dogs your breeder has raised might not be the best for your individual dog.

A lot of vets are not well informed on the nutrition end of things either, so the best way to find out which food is best is to talk to people who are saavy to the topic at hand, and to read literature as to which foods are best and then find one that works best for (again) your dog.

Don't dismiss what Bob has to say, he's been at this for a long time as well and as far as I can tell (without having met him in person), he knows his stuff.
    ~Samantha

I'm not discounting what he has to say, I read a lot of his advice and personal stories on this board and have come away with a general sense that he knows what he's talking about and he cares about helping the people on this board. With that said, I am discounting the articles because the studies were geared toward great danes. I even said that I'm open to hearing what is best for labs if there is a study out there on labs (or similar dogs).

p.s. Looks like Dozer and Hunter were born on almost the same day. I hope you don't mind if I use that sig avatar.
    Last edited by Finalyst; 07-15-2009 at 04:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast