Lab mix that hates water
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lab mix that hates water

Duck-Boy is offline Junior Member

DefaultLab mix that hates water

Hey everyone! i need some advice. im a big duck hunter, and i have a 7 yr old black lab and Greyhound mix. She is the most amazing dog ever! But... She hates water. is there any tips as to how i can make her used to it? maybe she will end up enjoying it! Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

At 7 years old? I would think that you have a task that is going to be pretty difficult. Maybe the Greyhound is doing you in.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by HersheyK's Dad View Post
    At 7 years old? I would think that you have a task that is going to be pretty difficult. Maybe the Greyhound is doing you in.
    My thoughts exactly.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I strongly suspect a greyhound lacks enough buoyancy for swimming so your Lab X Greyhound may have the same problem.

My Puff is lean and when I finally was able to get her swimming, only her head and some of her neck were visible above water. That's a contrast with my Bess, chunky, bench line -- an inch or two of her entire back was visible above water along with the upper half of her tail.

Suggestion: I take it that your dog likes retrieving. Tie a strong thin rope onto a retrieving dummy and throw it into very shallow water for your dog to retrieve several times. (The attached line is so that, if you toss it too far in for your dog to get, you don't have to wade in after it -- just reel it back in and try again.) Do this several times so your dog gets used to the water and splashing.

The following days, throw it slightly farther so it requires wading in deeper water.

Before you ever try getting your dog to swim, get a flotation vest for him and put it on him for water retrieves. RuffWear's FloatCoats are among the very best.

When I was teaching Puff to swim (at first w/o the life vest) I almost had to go in after her because she was flailing the water with her front legs trying desperately to keep her head above water, body vertical in the water, not using her back legs.

That's when I got the RuffWear FloatCoat. That helped enormously. She learned to swim properly and can swim, if necessary, without wearing it. But when we go sailing, she always has it on.

HTH

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Dexter Dogg is offline Senior Member

Duck-Boy...This is a really interesting thread. I want to get Dexter swimming but so far he has been scared. Whats interesting is that he is a mix and although we think hes is mixed with Dobie some say it could be greyhound. Can you post pics of your dog?

Bob - I'll definitely be taking your advice as well.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

For growing pups, RuffWear vests are too expensive for most people's budgets; better to look at WalMart or online.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Dexter Dogg is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr. View Post
    For growing pups, RuffWear vests are too expensive for most people's budgets; better to look at WalMart or online.

I think the RuffWear vests look good. Found some on sale for $34.95 online.

Ruby's Mum is offline Junior Member

That vest sounds great, my old girl @ 10yo has never swum at all, since her dad, threw her in the pool as a small puppy.

He claims is was to toughen her up, all it did was scare the absolute crap out of the pool little thing.

We live in a really hot part of Australia and she really suffers through our wet season. Maybe one of these vests would help.

Would you mind letting me know what the website was you got it from?

Thanx

zardiw is offline Junior Member

DefaultLab Greyhound mix

Looking to get one of these.....my friend has one in Vegas for adoption, but unfortunately it's spayed.........z

Amber The Duck Dawg is offline Senior Member

One thing to consider with a mix is that the mix may not have a good water repelant coat or may not even have a double layer coat. this can make water really cold without the insulating qualities of the coat and can very quickley cause htpothermia in a dog especially in cold weather. I would always try and introduce a dog to water in the hottest part of the year (July/August) and find warm water 60+. Its always better if the dog decides to get into the water on its own and this can be done by "stranding" it on an island and rowing away (requires a boat and an island).
    Puppies/new dogs often do the puppy swim where they are getting their front feet out of the water and splashing alot. the extreme of this is they can get their entire body vertical and actually bob up and down without moving. Once they start carrying a bumper while swimming the weight of the bumper is usually enough to get them horizontal and swimming well. once they figure it out they become better swimmers.
    A greyhound coat and bodytype is extremely poor for swimming in cold water.

Kelly
    Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat. Females should weigh between 55 and 70lbs and Males between 65 and 80lbs. Height females 21.5 to 23.5 inches males 22.5 to 24.5 inches at the withers.

Kelly
    HR Greenwoods Sealion Tsunami SH "Wave" born 3-9-2010
    Greenwoods Amber Wave VCD2 RA SH AX OF WCX CGC "Amber" born 4-13-2005
    Chino Ca

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast