How to exercise a 13 week old puppy?

Thread: How to exercise a 13 week old puppy?

Allan is offline Member

DefaultHow to exercise a 13 week old puppy?

Hi, things with Yoyo are going well. But, every so often, she gets super-hyper with us. At times, she barks loudly and sort of "goes after" our hands. It seems like she would bite us, if we didn't pull away. I think she does this becuase she wants more exercise. But, I jsut dont know how much os okay for a puppy her age (13 weeks). We don't have a yard, so we cant really ruin around outside. (But we do play fetch inside.) I also take her for walks. But, I am not sure how much of that I should be doing...

thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How to exercise a 13 week old puppy?

Keep it low-level and close to home for a while. On-leash. No forced running/walking. Let her set the pace. When she's had enough, she'll let you know by flopping down or sitting. Keep the play with lotsa happy time. At 13 wks, it's not too early to start on some training basics like name recognition, WATCH ME and SIT. But keep the 'work' fun and in little sessions that always end with Yoyo thinking she's the smartest dog on the planet.

Allan is offline Member

Yoyo is actually pretty good on that front. She knows her name very well, and sits on command (when there is a treat involved). We are working on DOWN, OFF (so she does not jump on furniture and/or the cat) and sitting when she meets new people/dogs on the street (she is not great with that). I worry becuase she gets quite hyper at times, and I just dont know how to tire her out. I do take her for walks, and we play fetch inside, but I'm not sure when else to do.

thanks

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Karolyn is offline Senior Member

I tried marrow bones, not great for exercise but they keep her busy

pross1492 is offline Member

Hi Allan - I hope all is well with you and your dog. Whats the status of the problem you mentioned in your original post? Did find any way to avoid having her bite and bark like you described??
    Our dog, Sadie, is 16 weeks and a few days ago she started the same type of behavior. When we get home from our evening walk, it is impossible to calm her down. Eventually, after 10-15 minutes of trying to calm her down, she sort of snaps and turns into another dog. She stares right at us and snarls and barks (which she nevers does under any other circumstance) and agressively bites at our legs and hands. It usually only lasts a couple minutes, but she still doesnt calm down even after she stops the cujo act. All in all, it has been taking more than 2 hours to calm her down to where she will just play with her toys. I recently reduced her amount of daily exercise, in response to feedback from another post i made ("Determining appropriate amount of exercise"). So my first thought was the same as yours, "she must need more exercise." but again, ive been warned that too much exercise at her age is bad for various reasons and i agree with the folks who warned me to tone it down. Were you able to find a way to stop these episodes, if more exercise isnt an option?

Play. Lots of Play. With you or other pets!