training

Thread: training

lisa is offline Senior Member

Defaulttraining

i would love some suggestions on what you think is the best training methods for a 6 1/2 mo old puppy. there are so many different books, videos and websites that offer so many techniques. Alpha do, pack leader is this true or not. what is the best method to use? help...all suggestions are welcome. I have hired a trainer, just wnt to see if i am doing the right thing. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

It really depends on the dog's temperament and your goals-- competition or strictly companion training? Anne

sarah is offline Senior Member

Lisa
    What is it that you want to train your dog to do? Are you trying to rectify certain behaviours that your dog is doing?

Also, Is there an obedience class near where you live? Have you checked online?
    Cheers, Sarah
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I don't want her trained for any competitions, just companionship. She is really a beautiful and loving dog but she is a tough cookie...she always wants to be the boss. She is very mouthy, which is def something I want to correct, slight aggression( not very often and never w food, toys or bones.) may just be puppyish stuff) she is only almost 7 months old and the mouthing will hurt more and more as she gets bigger. I also would like to teach her to walk on a leash and basic manners. I have hired a trainer who comes to my home once a week and she does seem to be learning. Petco also offers classes. What do you think about the whole "pack leader theory of training? Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Training is new to me, my old lab was very passive. She is a good puppy who just needs some tweeking. We just love her

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Buy "Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson (about $10 from Amazon) -- MAINSTREAM scientific advice geared to the individual behavior or task.

Also google NOTHING IN LIFE IS FREE (NILIF) types of training. This is very effective with young pups.

Last edited by Bob Pr.; 07-08-2009 at 11:21 AM.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

At 6.5 - 7 months she is in the throes of teenage behavior. The mouthiness with proper correction will subside in pretty short order. You do have to work at it however. When she is mouthy - withddraw your attention - ignore her or confine her away from you. When she is calm, reward her. She'll get it.

I also think that it is fine to curl the dog's lip under her teeth so that when she is mouthing you, she bites herself. Apply pressure to the lip - you really want to press it up into the tooth. You will not injure her and she will get a clear message that mouthing you = self inflicted pain.

In my opinion - pack leader theory applies to wolves - not so much to dogs. You should find someone who uses positive reinforcement and works to reward positive responses from your dog. The dog will work towards gaining the positive response from you and thus the behavior you desire will increase.

Petco classes - usually not the best.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Oh - and if you have a Lab club in your area - they can probably hook you up with a reputable obedience group if they don't have their own.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

sarah is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrownDog View Post
    Oh - and if you have a Lab club in your area - they can probably hook you up with a reputable obedience group if they don't have their own.
    yes!! ^^^^ this! Please endeavour to find this through a local dog/lab network. Check for a Lab Club online.... and I suggest ditch any trainer who uses methods that revolve around "pack leader" theories. You have a Labrador, even if she's naughty deep down she just wants to please you and receive loving attention from you. Positive Reinforcement is what you need to focus on.....
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

thanks everyone for all your help. I am going to amazon this week and I am also looking int a labrador breeder in my area who may offer obedience classes, i think she might be involved in the local lab club. this site is awesome and so is everyone on it