Car Harness
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Harness

dolansdad is offline Junior Member

DefaultCar Harness

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have a suggestion on a car harness for my 10 week old lab? I'd like to get him used to riding in the car with me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Car Harness

any harness will work. there are some sold to be used in the car (generally abit more expensive but made to work with the seatbelt). almost all pet stores have either the regular harness or the seat belt one (the regular harness can just be leashed to teh seatbelt)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

I have tried many with Hershey Kisses. The first thing I learned is sizing it right is very important. The second is that you are going to be buying a cople if you are starting that this age with so much growth ahead.

There is a company that makes them with this fake sheepskin pad for the chest area. HK hated them, I tried several styles and sizes. She whated ot and did everything she cold to chew it off. I then found one that was simply made from a couple different widths of what I will call Seat belt material. It has a lead that is detachable from the harness like a leash hook, and the other end just slips into the normal seat belt receiver.

HK does not mind this one, and I love it. (Probably becasue HK accepts it.)
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MarlansMum is offline Senior Member

My honest advice is to try something else until your pup is a bit older. I bought an easy rider harness for Marlan at that age and it was more harmful than protective. The reason was that he was trying to run around the car and ended up getting tangled up in the seatbelts. I used it maybe two or three times.

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

I used a crate secured in the back seat of our car when Henry was younger. When he inevitably outgrew the crate, we went to a seatbelt harness (linky: http://www.canineauto.com/champion.htm) which is attached to one of the latch bars in our back seat (linky: http://www.immioutdoors.com/petbuckl...ts_harness.htm). This is the anchor point for a child's car seat. I keep the tether short, just long enough for him to turn around, sit up and lay down. This keeps him from getting tangled.

I guess I've been luckier than most because we've never had a problem with him in a seat belt harness at all.

Whichever way you go (crate or harness) I think it's extremely important to secure one's dog safely in their vehicle.
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

These are similar to what I an using. The ones with the wide soft chest pad are the ones HK wouldn't put up with.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

MarlansMum is offline Senior Member

Oh yes - that looks much more secure than the one I had!

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

I cannot recommend these harnesses enough!!

I love ours... it's tough, even to chewing labradors! Henry's has lasted for over 3 years. My mom remarked the other day that it is one of the few things that we still have from since he was a young pup!!
    Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

Di
    Di is offline Senior Member

Sammi has alway had a harness and seatbelt while riding in the car! Since I have a Jeep, it's pretty much a must and I have no room for a crate! Here is a pic. of her first harness, she now has a bigger one!

[attachment deleted by admin]

i use a harness that you snaps into the seatbelt. i leave just enough slack so he can look out the window.. i'm really happy with it and my pup Storm likes it too.
    i bought it on ebay for like $10.00 plus shipping.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast