NO BITE!

Thread: NO BITE!

DefaultNO BITE!

I am lost now. Hailey won't stop nipping and biting when she gets excited. So I am using the fowl to the fang thing, but that doesn't work because when i try and grab her she gets excited and runs off. Also she does this new thing when she wants me to play, she'll sit and bark and growl at me, and bark at me, because she wants me to play, but if i try to grab her, again she thinks that i'm playing. Any suggestions because i think my work is taking this in the wrong direction.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: NO BITE!

How old is Halley? HK is 7 months and started barking for attention, play, treats a couple weeks ago. I try to make her 'Park it' (Lie down on the closest bed or mat we have for her) and stay. Then I reward after a stay of 30, 60secs, growing to 4 minutes. Sometimes she gets to me and I just stop what i am doing and play with her. Bad owner, I reinforce a behavior i don't want. But she looks so cute in her plea for my time.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

She is about 3 months. it isn't the barking that is really the problem, but i thought there might be a correlation. But the main problem is the biting and i think i am reinforcing it with "play time"

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

3 months, biting.

More knowledgeable folks will chime in I am sure. She is at that age.

My experience. When my hand was in her mouth, I always had some part of her lips/jowels between my finger and her teeth. Not sure that did anything but I did it.
    Whenever she bit down on skin, I yelp, then NO!, then off to her crate for a few minutes without anyone in sight. I still do that, although the crate is not used anymore. We have an area gated off. The biting seems to get less every week, and is a lot better than it was at 3 months.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Two types of substitution will help you:

A) Chewing on a non-authorized item (hand/pants leg etc.): Substitute an authorized item (kong etc.)
    B) Biting (a non-authorized activity): Substitute kissing (an authorized activity). We taught our dog that although it was a no-no to chomp on us, he COULD lick.

Both are doable w/some training and patience.

Also: Dont lose it with your pup, they see this as a weakness in you guidence abilities, do not repeat yourself to much also, it doesnt help when they are not going to clearly understand what you mean (their interpetation of English threw Lab ears sounds like the following "blah, blah, blah") instead, learn how to cope with it, for some its easy, other ....not so easy, take the above advice of all other's on the board and come up with your own conclusion, all of our dogs do have their own personalities just like our family/friends, each will or will not react to different techniques as mentioned, my advice is to become personal with your pup, bond as you would to your own child, figure out his/her learning curves, do's and dont's, build on that foundation. Remember to yell ouch in a shrill kinda way to advert your pups attention to what he/she may be biting. LABS RULE!!!!!!!

obsidian Guest

You can do two things. One, always have a chew toy handy so that when she gets so excited that she becomes mouthy, you can quickly stick the toy in her mouth for biting, rather than your body part. Two, when she gets so excited that she becomes mouthy, walk away and give her no further attention until she has calmed down.

I would not advocate reaching toward the dog's face to discourage biting, as it seems, from your description, you are doing. For one thing, you're seeing some ill effects from that now. For another, the dog will simply become more adept at dodging you, so that when you really DO need to grab for an important reason, such as safety, you will be unable to do so. You can also create a hand shy dog by grabbing at them in the way you have described.

Hi , not sure it is right or wrong, but this works for me, I hold the slack on the back of the pups neck and do a slight pull and low growl noise the pup either stops and walks away or Carry's on, I there fore give a little more firmer grip and growl and that does the trick.

From then on I just growl no when it happens again and the pup stops.
    Its no different to what the mother dog would do if the pups were going over the top.

Its not harming the pup at all and I believe the pup respecks you more as the boss.
    If it does not work then I would say just keep calm and pull the neck harder and growl louder.

good luck