Bringing a new puppy home....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bringing a new puppy home....

Dawson Creek Girl is offline Senior Member

DefaultBringing a new puppy home....

For those of you with more than one dog.... Just wondering if you can offer any advice for introducing a 'new 7-8 wk old' puppy to an already ' spoiled one dog' home. ;D

TIA
    •*´¯`*•.¸¸.•Patti•*´¯`*•.¸¸.•

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Bringing a new puppy home....

Well, many people say to introduce them on neutral territory, but I don't follow that crapola.

I just walk in the room, plop puppy down and watch them.

Actually, when I brought Ruby home, we were outside and nobody even noticed the puppy LOL

I think if your dog is friendly, just be careful the pupper doesn't get trampled, otherwise, its not a big deal. I don't go making big fusses over the older dogs, I just let them figure it out and in a matter of minutes, the puppy is nursing on poor Rhys and all is well.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Okay, that last approach posted may work very well, much of the time. There is at least one real potential disaster if any of the existing dogs protects it food at all. The puppy will go after anything edible, and if it sneaks underneath a food protective adult, the rsults can be an injured puppy, $1000 vet bill, or a dead puppy. It takes less than 1 second.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I used the "neutral territory" thing, and it went well... still a little snarlies from the minpin, but very good considering.

I KNOW Peanut would have reacted VERY differently had we just brought the puppy in and put him down... yikes!

I think it depends on Rowan... is she generally good with dogs? Good with puppies? Good with dogs coming into your house? If so, then you'll probably be fine no matter what, really!

I also tried to make sure that I gave Peanut lots of attention, although that was probably more to make myself feel better than for her benefit... :-[

Ultimately, they usually work it out just fine on their own, you shouldn't need to go really over the top with the intro.

Have fun with the new pup!! When does he/she come home??? ;D
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I do home boarding of dogs of all ages and sizes, and this is our routine during the initial meet and greet:

New dog comes in to the fenced backyard, and is allowed off lead to sniff and check things out. My dogs are inside. I let my dogs out in order of age - Sophie the rambunctious puppy comes out first, then Tristan (I may put him on leash, as he gets out of hand with humping sometimes) and then old girl Kaylie. Once they check each other out and all is going well, we repeat things inside -a gain, new dog goes in first (toys, bones and food bowls have been removed/put up out of reach)

After 2 years of doing this, I have only had one serious incident between the visitor and my dogs.

Thanks everyone!! ;D

Rowan is VERY friendly to all dogs she meets on the trail. There are two in particular that come into our yard to play sometimes with her and she is fine no problem. She is very submissive actually. :

I will be crate training our next one as well and Rowan is still crated at night and when we are gone away.

I understand the whole thing about the 'food' - although she doesn't with us or the cat ... I will be careful and feed her seperate to avoid any issues that may suddenly arise. Afterall, I wouldn't want someone grabbing my food either.

Ummm, we are hoping sometime in October for a new little one. ;D She (hopefully) or a he will be a half sibling to Rowan. ;D

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Awesome! Congratulations!! ;D ;D
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo317
    Awesome! Congratulations!! ;D ;D
    Thanks!!!!! ;D

Maybe I should revise, if your dogs are friendly and non agressive like mine, then its ok to just plop them down in the middle.

I've never had any problems with my own puppies, adult rescues or puppy rescues, food is never left on the ground, its eaten or gone, and 100% of the time its eaten.

We have no water aggression here, so no problems with my method. Rowan is young, you'll have no problems as long as she knows you are boss, and that is YOUR puppy.

Yeah, I am happy that Rowan is so 'easy' going and the fact that she is young will be helpful too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast