Barking
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barking

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

DefaultBarking

Dozer has found his voice. If we cannot supervise him 100% in the backyard we put him in his pen. He is good about it most of the time, but has started to bark if we go away, into the house or even sitting on the deck. I know he is barking because he wants to be with us (and/or wants attention) but it has to stop. I tell him "No bark" and he only stops for a second, but as soon as I turn my back he starts up again. He is not the only dog in the neighbourhood that barks, but I don't want to be the owner of a dog that barks everytime he can't be right beside us.

Consistancy is key, as is patience, I know, but what are some good methods to help cure him of this barking habit from a distance without having to approach. I know it will take time and I'm not looking for an overnight solution (though if you have one, please share ) just ideas.

Thanks!
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Canyon Labradors is offline Senior Member

Hudler was the same way when he was a pup. I remember we took him camping when he was 12 weeks and he scream holy hell while he was penned in his xpen while we put up the tent. Even at that age, he hung close to us and stayed out of trouble. He also never liked being left in the yard alone either. Now granted there were times there was no option but to crate or pen him, but for the most part he was always with us. We found that allowing him to spend all his time with us helped develop him into a very well adjusted, people-oriented dog. Now that he's older, we can do work in the front yard, and he just lays on the drive way, stays near us. We locked him out by accident once and he sat on the front step watching people.

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

For the most part he is always with us too, but the times he can't be with us and must be in his outdoor pen (he does not bark at all in his indoor crate) I can't have him barking the entire time.
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mountie's Girl is offline Junior Member

DefaultMy first post

I am so relieved to find these forums, and this thread! I have a 3 1/2 month old choc lab, who, for the most part, is the most mellow and sweet little guy. He has been fantastic in his crate, especially at night, with no accidents!

However, the neighbours have just made me aware that when we are not home, Louie barks constantly. I try not to leave him alone as much as possible, but I still have to work. I follow the rule of thumb that he should not be in his crate for longer than 4 hours (his age in months plus 1 hour). I leave the radio on, give him frozen kongs, and his favorite snuggle toy.

The neighbours, none of whom have a dog, are telling me they don't think it is normal for my dog to bark like that, and they want me to check with my vet to make sure he is healthy.

This is my first puppy and I am trying to do everything right, but I'm feeling pretty down right now...

Any advice would be appreciated!!!

Thanks,
    MG

mrOwasHere is offline Junior Member

Hi everyone,

Very new here, and I too am having this same issue. I wanted to nip this issue in the rear before it gets out of hand. We've only had our new 10 weeker for almost a week, and we are still getting used to each other, but boy can he make noise.

Wanted to bump this for some advise from our ex-barkers.

Thanks,
    Ray

Finalyst is offline Member

When we first brought Hunter home he would bark if we had him in his pen. I would just walk right past him when he'd be doing it without even glancing at him. After about a week of ignoring him while he was barking he stopped doing it.

He still barks, but it's sort of just a short bark to get our attention now. You may have to be the ones with the loud dog for a little while until he breaks the habit.

mrOwasHere is offline Junior Member

Thanks,

That's exactly what I've been doing, and it has seemed to help a little bit, but he's a persistent one.

Ray

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Ignore it completely. If you try to teach "quiet", "no bark", etc., I think they'll only do it more. You're giving him attention just by saying the words and that's what he's looking for.

When we first got Macy, she would bark her fool head off as soon as we got home. She wanted out of that crate! Nope, walked right past her, not even looking at her for a couple of days. She learned very quickly to zip it!

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

mosmama is offline Senior Member

Limo is the same way, lately. He'll be 4 mos tomorrow and he's found he has a voice also. I do ignore it and end up throwing a toy for him and that makes him happy. It can be annoying, but I know the best way is to ignore, when you're there, of course.
    Mo
    May 17, 1998 - May 20, 2009

The Love of My Life
    Rest in peace my Sweet Chocolate
    I Love You and Miss You so much

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

LIMO

ugadawg1696 is offline Member

I am having the same problem except Lucy barks at people! When I take her out to use the bathroom she barks at people and other dogs. I don't think she's trying to be aggressive, but sometimes it worries me because I do not want her to be an aggressive dog. I am getting her fixed next weekend and am planning on enrolling her in obedience school after that, but as of right now I don't know what to do when she barks (really loudly!!) at people and dogs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast