Just Labradors banner

Urinating when meeting new people

984 views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  isaac303h 
#1 ·
Ok, I did a search for this and nothing came back, so I apologize if it's been asked already.

Bailey pees when new people (even some older friends) come over or when he meets them outside the house somewhere.

What is the best practice to stop this? I know he's just a puppy but it's really embarrassing for us- and also not fun to have to clean up people's shoes/floors when it happens.

#3 ·
I'm not sure if your Bailey does this every time, but our Bailey (female) would do this when she hadn't gone out to go potty in awhile. When we knew visitors were coming, we'd make sure to take her out to go potty before they came. This seemed to help when she was a pup & her bladder was still developing. As she's grown this has no longer been a problem. Maybe my idea is not help if he does this all the time, even after going potty, but thought I'd pass my experience along.

#4 ·
I had a rescue puppy that did this. The advice I got was to have strangers totally ignore the dog. Wait until the dog gets comfortable with the strangers and then the strangers can pet the dog. It is completely normal though and most dogs grow out of it (the rescue puppy did too).

#5 ·
I agree with stlabs. I would add that this is a dog that is underconfident. When the strangers do pet her tell them to squat down so they are at his level and not towering over him. When they pet him tell them to pet him on the sides and not on top of the head.
Olie

#6 ·
Thanks, we've actually gotten much better in less than a week.
I just make sure he's sitting down when new people come in and I hold onto him so that he can't go crazy.

I ask people to not get too excited to see him and bend down to his level.

Much better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.