Couple of training issues
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple of training issues

imported_oakley is offline Senior Member

DefaultCouple of training issues

Ok, Oakley and I have done obedience and will return to obedience in August. But I have a few issues that I need to get on top of now.
    1) Oakley desperately wants to chase birds. She will lunge on the leash very hard sometimes hard enough to pull it out of your hand. And she watches them out the window, also runs at the window and jumps on it to get at the birds. I try to get her attention and take her focus off the birds but boy she really has her attention focused on them. How do I break the bird chasing?

2) THis one is definitlely more minor. How do I get her to "drop" the ball that we are playing fetch with? I have a "chuck it" and I use 2 balls. I only throw the second once she has dropped the first but she doesn't give it up until she wants to. She also has a soccer ball and it is torturous trying to get that away from her so you can kick it again. She even grabs my leg while she has the soccer ball in her mouth (she puts her paws around my leg). How do I get her to give it up?

oh, I can't think of the other thing I wanted to post right now. Anyway, any help on those two questions would be appreciated.
    THANKS!!
    Lana

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Couple of training issues

Hershey Kisses is 5 months old. She wil bring the ball back, circle me several times, and then drop it, or sit andlet me take it without resistance. I give her a treat everytime I get it in my hand, or she drops it at my feet in front. She has been gettingmore consistent, but probably still only scores 40-50%
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

I have tried the treats too, it is not consistent. She will sometimes take the treat and grab the ball back so fast, before I can even try to get it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Aw! Come on! You can't let her get away with that. I am 62 years old and Hershey Kisses can't pull that off on me. After I am sure she knows I have the treat, my hand closes such that she can't get it until after I have the ball.

Now, don't think I am the speediest 62 year old in the world, I assure you that I am not. She gets away with a lot, especially when she decides its time to play keep away. I have had her run through my legs in either direction when I try to catch her.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

I am not looking to start an argument thread with you.
    I have been to obedience training obviously I have tried the treats. I am asking if there are steps in teaching the drop it that I could use to gain more consistency in the command.
    My biggest issue is the bird chasing.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

1) Use your obedience to control the bird chasing. If she's sitting and staying and 'watching' you, she's not focussed on the birds. Make sure you have the high rewards - but do not lure her into position. Have her on leash, and wait for her to sit on command, or guide her into the position.

2) again, have her on leash - when she gets close, hold the leash close to the collar. ThGet her to drop the ball however you can (again, please don't lure or bribe her) - then move her away from the ball and get her to sit. You can reward her once your foot is on the ball or its back on the chuckit, or just use the thrown ball as a reward.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Regarding the bird chasing.

I once saw an episode of a dog training show (might have been stanley coren... I don't remember..) and they were working with a dog (lab!) who lived on a farm and would not stop chasing sheep.

The host of the show made what I thought was a good point. He said that in order to stop the dog from chasing/hurting the sheep, they had to create a situation where the dog thought that the sheep were giving the correction. Otherwise, he said, the dog would continue to chase/hurt sheep when people weren't around (I believe this particular dog had free run of the owners farm at all times.)

Sooo... they used an e-collar, on a low setting, and gave a correction from afar whenever the dog got near the sheep (started chase behaviour etc..) The dog never looked at them, only looked at the sheep as if to say "what the heck..??" so it did seem to see the correction as coming from the sheep.

I know that e-collars are a volatile issue, esp. on this board, but that might be an idea to try with the bird chasing.

Oh, the dog on the show stopped chasing/hurting sheep, after awhile showed no interest in them at all. They also did a follow up, and the dog still didn't go back to that behavior months later, long after the e-collar was removed from the equation.

Hope that helps, I have never personally tried this, but I remembered that show when I read your post.

good luck!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

I wasn't trying to be argumentative with you, Oakley.

I apologize for a sarcastic sens of humor

MarlansMum is offline Senior Member

Hi Oakley:

I have the drop it problem with Marlan. I have always had it - since he was a tiny tiny pup.

Same with you, he will not drop it for treats. We have tried every treat, including high value people food treats. To Marlan, the ball or toy or whatever he's got is of higher value than the treat. I feel your frustration!! The only thing that works for us is exactly what you have been doing - using two identical items. And, it only works when he feels like playing fetch. After he gets sick of playing, he just trots off with one item. Hahahahaha. Damn dog!

Personally, I think it comes down to how important of an issue this is for you. If you want him to always drop it, then you need to work on training him to always drop it. Find some way of motivating him to drop the item. For example, Marlan doesn't drop it for fetch but he will ALWAYS drop it if we are playing catch because he wants to keep playing. He obviously prefers catch.

Hope this helps - sorry I can't offer any advice about the bird issue.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I don't think you need to be as drastic to resort to an e-collar for bird chasing -- Labs are bird dogs after all. I would do exactly what kaytris said and use your obedience training to your advantage. Maybe having her focus on something as you walk -- have her holding a ball or bumper, or carrying a backpack -- will also help reduce her excitement around birds.

Do you have anywhere you can let her off leash to 'hunt' for birds safely? afterall, the behavior she is displaying is only what comes naturally. She may even enjoy retrieving REAL birds if you can find a local retriever club and you are interested in doing a bit of field training.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast