UP ON PPL

Thread: UP ON PPL

DefaultUP ON PPL

Hi Napoleon is 20 months old ,my husband passed away 5 months ago and I admit I havent been working much with Napoleon. I do his walks ect but training wise just havent had it in me to continue,but have to get a hold of things with him.My biggest problem is when ppl visit he is up on them in the chair or on the couch I say NO DOWN he wont move they have to push him down or myself pull him off. I really need help in how to stop this or is it too late at his age,pleaase help me with this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

stlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: UP ON PPL

No it's definitely not too late. You and he should get into a training class right away. I think that would really help both of you.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

There are a number of ways you could approach this. From what you describe he is being a normal, friendly and exuberant young dog. Shouting "DOWN!" at him will most likely fall on deaf ears especially as he probably knows "down" (lie down) as a completely separate command. Also, "NO!" becomes meaningless when used too often. Try a new command like "OFF!" and make sure you are authoritative with your voice when you give the correction.

Next time you have guests put a collar and leash on Napoleon and allow him to drag the leash. When he goes to jump on the visitors and/or the couch, give him a gentle pop on the collar to redirect his attention and a sharp "OFF!". Do this as many times as needed, rewarding calm behavior with praise and maybe some extra special treats.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Trickster's advice is good BUT I also heartily endorse the suggestion of stlabs

Trainers and training classes differ from A-Z in quality. Visit some, evaluate the trainers, and pick the one that seems the best. It'll do both of you a world of good.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748