First New Puppy Question!!

Thread: First New Puppy Question!!

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

DefaultFirst New Puppy Question!!

OK, I'm quite surprised, but I lasted a whole 3.5 weeks without posting a question!! ;D ;D

BUT.... I have one now, here it is!

I can manage Baloo's biting behaviour no problem, and we've gotten to the point where he does not bite me. Maybe once every once in awhile accidently (I get in the way of bitey face with Peanut, etc.) But certainly not like he did when we brought him home.

HOWEVER, my question is this; How do I stop him from biting Dan/other people? Dan (bless his heart) is very awkward around Baloo, he really tries and totally loves him, but has never ever had a puppy/dog before, and he finds it difficult to correct or influence Baloo's behaviour in any way. I have tried instructing him (being as sensitive as I can be! ;D) but he still struggles.... as many of you can relate in one way or the other (I know I can) there's a difference between knowing something and actually being able to preform it!

So I'm wondering if there is anything that I can do to stop Baloo from biting Dan and others (people on walks, etc.) I always warn them that he's a puppy, and is still nippy, but in their excitement (esp. kids) they seem to inadvertently encourage the mouthy behaviour.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

TIA!! ;D ;D
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: First New Puppy Question!!

Couple of hints:

- teach a substituted behavior. So although he cannot bite people, he can kiss them. This is done through praise and correction. NO BITE!! Kissy! good dog....

- offer a bitable substution. He can't bite Dan, but he can bite a chewy toy.

- teach that bites are painful. Either a) give a sharp OUCH and end play immediately when he gets bitey or b) fold his lip over his own teeth and press down. He'll yelp, at which time you reinforce NO BITE!!! And then praise like heck when he 'gets it.'

PottersPeeps is offline Senior Member

I agree totally with Dweck. It was the same way with us. My husband (who is actually PottersPops, we just share the name) had never had a dog and was much more tentative with Potter and didn't really know what to do with him a lot of the time, though he loved him a lot. Now, at almost 6 months, Dave is pretty much as comfortable with Potter as I am. I think the turning point was the day we took Potter to the dog park and Dave saw that some behavior is just normal to dogs (play-fighting and rear-smelling for instance) and became both more accepting of Potter's puppyness and more determined in his training.

So, do what Dweck mentioned (and always have a substitute toy that he can chew on when you have guests...distract! distract! distract!) and it'll become more natural with time.

The Potter Rotter, loved by David & Catherine,
    feared by squirrels everywhere

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Hmm...

I am hoping (and expecting, realistically) that Dan will become more comfortable with Baloo in time. Getting a puppy is a very large adjustment to someone who has never experienced the "throws of puppyhood" before! ;D ;D

My question, really, is whether or not it will be effective if I correct Baloo for biting Dan and others.

Will he see that as "no biting" or "no biting when "that lady" is around?"

Does the correction need to come from the person he is biting, or can I provide it and have it be effective, essentially?

He is getting better, but any thoughts on expediating the process would be much appreciated!

Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!