0. You may not vote on this poll
  • new puppy

0 0%
  • food

0 0%

Thread: dog food and treats

chili is offline Junior Member

Defaultdog food and treats

Well i have pretty much decided on Royal Canin brand dog food, My sister has been using it for her lab for quite a while. Was curious if any one else was using it. Also was wondering about treats for new puppy, I bought some biscuits already but like pig ears and stuff is it to hard for their teeth when they are a pup. any info would be greatly appreciated. i would like to get a collar too, just was wondering what size his neck would be around 8 to 9 weeks old

thanks ,
    Joe

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

MarlansMum is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: dog food and treats

Marlan used to LOVE pigs ears when he was small, but he was a bit older than 8-9 weeks when I gave them. He also really liked bully sticks and peanut butter and banana in his kong. As for treats, when he was tiny I only gave him pieces of kibble. Then we bought some regular dog treats and I broke them into little pieces.

His neck will be small. You can buy adjustable collars. Other than that, if you buy a bit too big not to worry, you can poke extra holes in the collar or wait for him to grow into it.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Does Royal Canin have a Large breed Puppy formulation?

That's very desirable to reduce the probability of later joint problems.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I personally avoid pigs ears and anything that has been cooked and rendered in that unnatural way. Although that is kind of hypocritical for me to say because I sometimes feed rawhide. Cooked or smoked bones are a no-no though. I start puppies out with simple stuffed Kong's and soft bones (not recommended unless you feel comfortable doing so). Then when the adult teeth come in I add a once weekly marrow bone to the mix.

I only use commercial treats if they are good quality. That means little grain and a meat meal as the first ingredient. The vast majority of commercial dog treats have poor ingredients -- Milk Bones and anything by Pedigree or Purina are usually pretty bad. That doesn't mean to say they will hurt your dog in small doses -- far from it -- but there are healthier choices available nowdays. Treats made by the premium dog food brands (Innova, Eagle Pack, etc.) are usually a fantastic choice.

BUT the very best thing you can use for treats in my opinion is 'people' food -- bits of chopped up meats, cheeses and vegetables. 'People' food is the more natural and far more appealing alternative to buying dog treats. It is also cost effective. I don't know many dogs who won't go crazy for some small slices of cooked meat or tasty cheese. And of course the better the treat the more motivated your dog will be to work.

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by chili
    Well i have pretty much decided on Royal Canin brand dog food, My sister has been using it for her lab for quite a while. Was curious if any one else was using it. Also was wondering about treats for new puppy, I bought some biscuits already but like pig ears and stuff is it to hard for their teeth when they are a pup. any info would be greatly appreciated. i would like to get a collar too, just was wondering what size his neck would be around 8 to 9 weeks old

thanks ,
    Joe
    I'd hold off on the pigs ears, rawhide, etc. until the pup is around 6 months, mostly because it's very easy to upset a little puppy tummy!

Baloo's collar is adjustable from 10 - 14 inches, and it fit him well at 8 weeks. I've had to adjust it a few times, but it still fits well at 11.5 weeks.

Hope that helps!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

chili is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the info, Royal canin has large breed puppy food, and then when an adult has a blend specific for labs. The biscuits i got were from nutro natural choice for large breed puppies.