HELP!!

View Poll Results: How do I keep him out of the Garden?

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • Already have fence

1 100.00%
  • Put moth bolls around

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!

KimC261 is offline Junior Member

DefaultHELP!!

OK...it's me again. THIS time, my black Lab, who is now 6 months old, has gotten into my garden and now I don't know if anything is going to live. I have a plastic fence around the garden, which the garden is NOT very big at all, and put moth balls around it. He stayed out of it for a while and now all of a sudden, yesterday, he jumped the fence, tore up the tomato and onion plants...then he stomped all over my cucumber plants. I have since put the fence back up and re done it, but is there any other way to keep him out of the garden??? I swear, I could have just cried yesterday when I saw that. I know that Labs are destructive as puppies, and he is a good puppy, but, gee...please help. :P

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

JacksAndLabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: HELP!!

Where are you when this is happening?? A six month old puppy shouldn't be in a yard unsupervised. Do you realize that your puppy could die if it's eat's the moth balls???
    ~Nicole<br />Grand Ledge, MI<br /><br />

KimC261 is offline Junior Member

OK...let me be more specific. The moth balls are buried under less than an inch of dirt and there are only a few of them out. It's not like I just dumped a box of Moth balls all over the place and just left them. Every time I try to get assistance on this web site, I get criticized. I don't get it. I am IN the yard with him, but doing other things. He is NOT left unsupervised! The entire yard is fenced. It just amazes me that I can turn my back for a few minutes and the damage he can do. That's it.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

sblab is offline Senior Member

I think onions are toxic too. We have a green wire fence to keep our 5.5 month old puppy away from our garden, trees, roses, etc. She is only allowed on the grass and brick patio. Even so, she manages to rip up the grass and jump up to grab fruit tree branches :P

stlabs is offline Senior Member

We had this problem with our labs when they were babies too. We never found a way to fix it. I had planted this really nice container garden with tomatos, jalapenos etc. We surrounded it with an exercise pen. They still found a way in there and ate all the tomatos and even the jalapenos. They also ate all the bark off our maple trees. Luckily they stopped doing this kind of crap when they were around 2 years old. Ours were never left outside alone and they'd do it in a matter of minutes when we weren't watching. I think you basically have three choices: (1) live without a garden until he's a little older, (2) keep him tethered to you in the yard with a leash, or (3) get a more sturdy fence to enclose your garden. We gave up and went with option no. 1 and just buy our stuff at the store or farmer's market. Just an FYI - I think onions may also be toxic to dogs.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

You have probably heard this a million times over, but he is a puppy and he can't be trusted. He should be supervised all the time. It is as simple as that. I wouldn't even trust my adult Labs around vegetable growing plants...too many temptations. My Labs ate all the tomatoes off our tomato plant we had last summer.

A plastic fence won't deter a Lab unless it is 6ft tall. Invest in a wooden one and secure the garden properly.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I don't intend this as criticism but any fence a 6 month old pup can jump over is not a barrier, it's more like an inviting challenge.

I suggest you get some chicken wire fencing, at least 3 feet high, drive in some stakes, and staple the CW fencing to that.

Also, if you play fetch daily with your Lab, or take it swimming -- those things that provide enough vigorous daily exercise -- that reduces the boredom and mellows them out.

Good luck!
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Pr.
    I suggest you get some chicken wire fencing, at least 3 feet high, drive in some stakes, and staple the CW fencing to that.

Chicken wire would be my choice if I had to make one also.....easy and inexpensive
    We have a garden and no fence. But we are on an acreage. We let the dogs out when we were tilling the ground, and every time we work in the garden. My daughter and I would just say "NO" loudly and firmly when ever they got even close to the dirt. We have a nice lawn and there is a clearly marked edge of the grass to dirt. They can figure it out. If their toenail even touches the dirt they get hollered at. It has worked for us, but may not work for everyone. We can turn them out in the yard and watch through the windows and they never go in the garden.
    Good luck.....it helps if you can partner with someone.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Good advice from MJ, but a clarification: NO is too general a term. Teach LEAVE IT.

Also works: Tether the dog to you while you're in the yard busy w/other things. That way, you can issue a good collar correction if he goes for the veggies. The mothballs -- buried or not -- are dangerous.

sblab is offline Senior Member

Here is a good thread on this topic I read a while back. I think the fencing we use is 4 ft. green vinyl coated wire. We got it at home depot. They sell green metal stakes that have little notches on them to hold the fence up.

https://www.justlabradors.com/forum/i...html#msg555479

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast