Housetraining Question....

Thread: Housetraining Question....

jarvisj is offline Junior Member

DefaultHousetraining Question....

Just wondering, how do you get your dog to let you know when she needs to go out? If we are not eagle-eyeing Ava 100% of the time we will very easily miss her signs. She is very vague about needing out and the next thing you know she is squatting. She is still pretty young at 14 weeks, but seems to show no signs of urgency that lead us to believe she has to go. Some people have mentioned using a bell on the door which I am considering or should I just hold my course and hope that she will come around sooner or later?

thanks
    JAJ

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Housetraining Question....

bump

Mary Jane is offline Senior Member

You will get some great advice from someone....but until then....
    What worked for me was not to wait for her to cue me. I would pay attention to her water intake and anticipate her timing. Walking toward the door and the words "Potty outside" when they squatt outside, praise, praise, praise.
    As she got older, I would get her excited on the way so about the time we get to the door she would bark.Pretty soon she would come to me and bark when she has to go. That was about 5-6 months of age though.
    Good Luck (and don't forget the Resolve Pet Stain and Oder Remover : :)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

I have realized in the short time that we have had him that Baloo is VERY food motivated, and from the start we gave him little treats every time he "went" outside. (he's 11 1/2 weeks)

He now scratches at the door to be let out, and he looks at you like "umm, hello!! I need to go NOW!!" But I think he asks to go outside because he knows that when he does his business, he gets a treat! So he's asking for the treat, essentially. We've just started giving treats intermittently, and will wean him off them totally in the near future, but his insistence at the door hasn't wavered! Also, it is always via the same door that we take him outside, I think that plays into it as well.

Ultimately, I think you need to make going potty outside a REALLY exciting occasion (treats, praise, toys, whatever motivates them the most), just like when potty training children. That way they get excited when they know it's going to happen, and they'll want to hurry you to get the party started!!

good luck!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Thanks guys for the comments and I welcome anyone else's comments too!

Baloo317, funny you say 11 1/2 weeks, it was right around that time when our Ava started whining at the door as well. My wife and I started thinking AWESOME, this is going to be easy!! Well, for some reason she stopped doing the whining and back tracked on us a bit, she still whines once in a while, but not like she did at first. I'm sure it will all sync up soon! Hope Baloo, continues for ya, oh and by the way, great name! One of my all-time favorite Disney characters and movies.

Thanks again!
    JAJ

jan elaine Guest

My Abby sounds just like your puppy! I will take her outside to "pee" on a fairly regular basis. Always using the same door. But she never prompts me or if she does I'm just not getting the signal. And if I have a treat with me she will go. I make a big deal out of it and give her the treat. Twenty minutes later shes squatting on the carpet. I am really frustrated. Abby is 15 weeks old. :

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jarvisj
    Thanks guys for the comments and I welcome anyone else's comments too!

Baloo317, funny you say 11 1/2 weeks, it was right around that time when our Ava started whining at the door as well. My wife and I started thinking AWESOME, this is going to be easy!! Well, for some reason she stopped doing the whining and back tracked on us a bit, she still whines once in a while, but not like she did at first. I'm sure it will all sync up soon! Hope Baloo, continues for ya, oh and by the way, great name! One of my all-time favorite Disney characters and movies.

Thanks again!
    JAJ

Hee hee, thanks, "Baloo" fits him like a glove, I love it too!

Anyhoo, he hasn't had an accident inside in a little over a week (asks at the door all the time), but I'm really focusing on not getting lax with his training just because of that, hopefully he won't slip backwards, fingers crossed!

I'm also sure it will work out with your girl, good luck!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!