Neutering?

Thread: Neutering?

mom2ruger is offline Member

DefaultNeutering?

I was just wondering if there was an ideal age to have this done. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Neutering?

You're going to get lots of opinions on this...but you need to consult with your vet and your breeder. Some breeders require you to wait until the dog is at least 12 months old. If you got your dog from a BYB..they probably don't care, and then I would recommend going with whatever your vet recommends...which is usually 6 to 8 months of age.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Trickster is offline Senior Member

There was a long thread about this a while back. I tried looking for it but couldn't find it. If anyone can remember the thread (started by labby?) maybe someone can pull it up for you?

Back to the question, my personal preference for getting a male neutered is 12 months of age. I wouldn't do it any younger than that (although my shelter mutt Trick got the snip at 6 months -- shelter policy) but again, that is just my opinion. I would have waited until 18 months to get my boys done but their hormones were getting in the way of their training. Murph especially was a terrible humper and couldn't focus at all. I was glad I got it done when I did.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

mom2ruger is offline Member

Thanks, I think I will try to wait until he is 12 months, unless we start having problems. I have asked the vet and he pretty much said after 4 months we can do it whenever we want. I did reading about this online and found a few articles that suggested that waiting until about a year old was best as well. I just wanted to see how you guys felt about it, thanks again!