Walks are being very tiresome
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walks are being very tiresome

marcossoft is offline Junior Member

DefaultWalks are being very tiresome

Hi all,

I have a question about my walks with Malu (my syster's almost 05 months female chocolate labrador) .... We walk for about 30 minutes
    (3 times a week), she pulls a lot the leash, when she pulls I stop and try to make her more relaxed but I haven't succeeded yet :-(

I noticed dugring the walk the white part of her eyes become "red" :-( I was concerned about that because I'm unsure about what's happening (blood pressure ... I don't know) since this ocurred I'm avoiding the walks .... Does someone know what's this ?

Thank you very much
    Marcos

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Walks are being very tiresome

Is the dog going thru grass, or is there pollen in the air. Sounds like the red eyes may just be from airborne allergies. My female will have this problem for part of the year when things are blooming more in the spring.

With regard to the pulling just keep walking her. When she starts to pull ahead change directions so that she starts to anticpate where you are going and won't feel the need to pull. It takes time, but stay consistent and it will improve.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

<<We walk for about 30 minutes (3 times a week),>>

I sure hope you mean 30 minutes 3x a DAY.......

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

True Blue is offline Senior Member

Yes, she needs to be walked daily. However, not more than 30 min given her age. As for the pulling, it is necessary to be completely consistent, and show her who is in charge. Do not let her walk in front of you, she should be to the side or behind. I would give a little tug and some sort of sound or "no" when she pulls or goes where she should not be. With consistency, she will learn. She's still a baby.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Hi Marcos

As a short term solution I suggest you invest in some sort of training collar; a Gentle Leader/Halti head harness, an anti-pull body harness or a prong collar. Using a training aid will allow you to quickly gain control while you begin the process of teaching her a formal 'heel'. When she is walking reliably on a loose leash with a training collar then you can wean her back onto a normal buckle collar and leash.

Have you been to a training class with Malu? training classes are more for you than they are for the dog. A good trainer will teach you how to control and manage your dog effectively through positive methods.

If you are only walking her 3 times per week, what other forms of exercise are you doing? following the '5 minute rule' a 5 month old puppy needs at least 25 minutes of exercise per day. So, and bearing in mind that the rule is not set in stone, I would do say one 20 minute walk and then 10-15 minutes of play broken up into 5 minute sessions or a good 25 minute off leash walk. EVERY day.

Unless you own a fair amount of property (and I don't mean a suburban backyard) your pup should be taken for a walk at least once per day.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    Hi Marcos
    Hi first of all thanks for answer !!!

As a short term solution I suggest you invest in some sort of training collar; a Gentle Leader/Halti head harness, an anti-pull body harness or a prong collar. Using a training aid will allow you to quickly gain control while you begin the process of teaching her a formal 'heel'. When she is walking reliably on a loose leash with a training collar then you can wean her back onto a normal buckle collar and leash.
    I think a Gentle Leader would do the trick, so when I get one of these I will try to restart the walks because as I said she gets very stressed with the regular collar leash pair :-(

Have you been to a training class with Malu? training classes are more for you than they are for the dog. A good trainer will teach you how to control and manage your dog effectively through positive methods.
    No unfortunately we didn't attend training classes .... I've read a book specialized on dog behavior and saw some dog whisperer's episodes and this web site (FAQ) coupled with the forum it's been a very nice source of information :-)
    So I must admit I didn't know labradors very well :-( (I think nor my syster that is actually the owner) but we're always trying to do our best .... when we don't know something I just post a question here :-)

If you are only walking her 3 times per week, what other forms of exercise are you doing? following the '5 minute rule' a 5 month old puppy needs at least 25 minutes of exercise per day. So, and bearing in mind that the rule is not set in stone, I would do say one 20 minute walk and then 10-15 minutes of play broken up into 5 minute sessions or a good 25 minute off leash walk. EVERY day.
    So we play about 50 minutes :-) every day with a rubber ball and other toys

Thank you for the tips
    Marcos

I think a Gentle Leader would do the trick, so when I get one of these I will try to restart the walks because as I said she gets very stressed with the regular collar leash pair :-(
    If she is a bad puller she would be better suited to an anti-pull body harness. Gentle Leaders do work, but as with everything how effective they are depends on the dog. A really determined dog can still pull with one on.

I am not sure what you mean by "she gets stressed with a regular collar"? is it stress or excitement/frustration? regardless of what you mean, that is another positive aspect of the body harness. They are much less invasive than a Gentle Leader. If you properly condition a dog to wearing one then they should do ok but overall the harness is a more pleasant training aid.

No unfortunately we didn't attend training classes .... I've read a book specialized on dog behavior and saw some dog whisperer's episodes and this web site (FAQ) coupled with the forum it's been a very nice source of information :-)
    So I must admit I didn't know labradors very well :-( (I think nor my syster that is actually the owner) but we're always trying to do our best .... when we don't know something I just post a question here :-)
    Books are fantastic resources and TV shows are ok but NOTHING is better than hands on experience. You can learn a lot from books. An awful lot. But real people, real trainers and a real class/group situation can't be beat. I would really think about finding some classes in your area and signing up. Malu will love having something to focus on and a 'job' to do and she will also benefit immensely from the social aspect. Benefits for you include learning how to handle her effectively and therefore becoming a better trainer. It is also nice to have the back up and advice of someone who knows what they are doing. You can get world class advice on this forum but again, nothing beats real life.

So we play about 50 minutes :-) every day with a rubber ball and other toys
    It is great you are playing with her for that amount of time but ideally, a walk needs to be introduced daily. It doesn't necessarily have to be a long one and it doesn't have to be for exercise. For most Labs, leash walking is just a warm up. But walks are fantastic for mental stimulation and all dogs enjoy sniffing around exploring. Dogs get bored of the same house and fenced in back yard if not taken out enough to explore new places. So if she is only getting out 3 times a week, when she does go out, she will be bursting with energy and her frustration will take the form of leash pulling. If you take her out daily the walk is suddenly less exciting and more a part of her daily routine.

Bump up for Marcos!

Bump up for Marcos!
    Hya

Sorry for the late response :-[
    My sister bought a metal collar so we will give it a try tomorrow .... we are using a leather one ...
    I've walked with malu this week and she almost hurt me because she was trying to bite and pull the leash so I was forced to "tap" her nose .... and she stopped immediately .... During this walk we found another labrador (a black 1 year and a half old female) very balanced .... she was without the leash and Malu tried to play with her .... what I've noticed is that malu doesn't know how to play with other dogs she starts to jump on the other dog and pull the leash and I'm completely lost at this moment :-( I know as you said previously that dogs classes are really useful but I would like to get ride off this bothering behavior, I think "tapping" her nose give some good results but I'm not sure if I can continue with this method ....

Any suggestion ?

Thank you very much
    Marcos

Hi, no worries about the late responce. This section of the forum is quite popular so threads get "lost" onto page 2 quickly.

Not sure the tapping on the nose technique sounds like a great idea. It might redirect her attention but only momentarily in which case it is not worth it. Also, the nose is a very sensitive area so you probably want to refrain from correcting her that way in the future. Although Labs are hardy, if she is sensitive it could make her hand shy. A quick, well timed leash pop is much more appropriate.

Could you explain a bit more about her pulling towards other dogs? where does it happen? on the streets? I am wondering because you said the other dog was off leash...

Regardless, this is partly due to her age and maturity as well as lack of training and possibly social contact with other dogs. How often does she get to play with (not just a quick sniff and a goodbye) with other dogs?

What metal collar have you got? not a choke/check chain I hope, because they will not work in your situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast