Name with command

Thread: Name with command

TimC. is offline Senior Member

DefaultName with command

I read somewhere it was best to say your dogs name before you gave him a command because you want your dog to know you are addressing him. Yesterday I was watching the show and the trainer said you shouldn't use the name when giving a command because you don't want the dog to associate its name with anything negative. Which to you think is right?
    Olie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Name with command

I am not sure which is right but I noticed recently that he listens MUCH better when I use his name first. Otherwise he'll look at me as if to say "who me??" or ignore me Or I end up saying his name AFTER.

Personally (and I am certainly NOT a trainer) I believe it makes sense to say the name first, to get their attention. Especially if you are in conversation with someone else - I mean if you are talking to a friend then say "sit" how are they to know you mean you want THEM to sit or are saying the word sit?
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I use the dogs name when it preceeds a moving command, such as heel, come, front etc. For stationary commands, I just use the command. In the hunt test world, most people only use the dogs name as a command to fetch. (i.e. FIDO! means Fido fetch! The actual word fetch is not used).
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

obsidian Guest

Why would a command be negative?

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by obsidian
    Why would a command be negative?
    I think the trainer meant when you are telling them to stop doing something they aren't supposed to be doing.
    Olie

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Belles mom
    I use the dogs name when it preceeds a moving command, such as heel, come, front etc. For stationary commands, I just use the command.
    Us, too!

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

I do the same as Belles mom and dweck...

If I'm "correcting", either with "uh-uh!" or with something like leave it/off I don't use his name first.

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I try to use her name first, just before giving the command. Sometimes, if it takes more than once or I'm alarmed about something she's rolling in, just the command "LEAVE IT!!" might be given. ;D
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

deezeldog Guest

I use their names when I direct them but more often I use hand signals with my dogs. Anyone else prefer non-verbal commands? Of course you have to have the dog at a place where they pay pretty close attention to you and clearly there will be situations where you have to use verbal --- but dogs learn so much better with visual cues in my opinion.

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

I'm in the process of weaning myself from using Murray's name with commands. An OTCH trainer told me that by using Murray's name with every command it loses it's impact then when I really need his attention (like in the show ring or in a dangerous situation) I don't have any other options in my bag of tricks. So now in practice I don't ever use his name, then when we get in the ring I'll throw the name in and hopefully that will get his undivided attention. I was so worried the first time I tried not using his name (in practice) but it really was no issue. He knew I was talking to him.

Quote Originally Posted by deezeldog
    Anyone else prefer non-verbal commands? ...but dogs learn so much better with visual cues in my opinion.
    I think that's pretty normal for most dogs. They are much better at reading body cues (not only hands but shoulders, hips, feet), facial expressions, etc. If you think about how dogs communicate with each other it is usually with body cues, not vocally.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE