possessiveness
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: possessiveness

PottersPeeps is offline Senior Member

Defaultpossessiveness

Potter is usually very sweet and gentle, though he, of course, has the typical hyperactivity for an almost 6 month old pup. However, when he's given certain (and sometimes random) things, he becomes possessive and snarls and snaps at anyone he perceives as trying to take whatever the thing is from him. He first did this with a Nylabone at 4 months (he has two other nylabones that he's never done this with). He most commonly does this with raw hides. Of all of his behaviors, this is the one I HATE the most, but I really am at a loss as to how to correct it? Any suggestions?

The Potter Rotter, loved by David & Catherine,
    feared by squirrels everywhere

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

soulmindfist is offline Member

DefaultRe: possessiveness

Teach him the "leave it" command.

[attachment deleted by admin]
    All the wasted time searching for those wasted years.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Cancel all rawhides.

Begin NILIF feeding (look in the OUR BEST ADVICE sticky for hows).

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what does NILIF stand for? I did a search in the Best Advice and didn't see it.

NILIF - Nothing In Life Is Free. The dog must earn EVERY benefit: Every meal is preceded by patient sits and downs. Every play session comes after successful recalls. Every treat must have a give-me-a-paw. Or something. The dog learns that you are the giver of all good things in life, and that he/she must earn everything. It even extends to making the dog sit and wait while YOU go through a door first.

I'm pretty sure NILIF is covered in OUR BEST ADVICE...... ???

We're working on leave it (we've actually just started our training classes) and the raw hides are out. I don't think NILIF will work for us, though, because Potter is not an agressive eater at all. It can take him 30-45 minutes to decide to start eating after I put the food down. But, he's doing well with "leave it" and hopefully that will be a big help. Thanks for the advice.

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

Find a treat that he will like, be anxious for. Hershey Kisses really likes the sauage like concoctions made in Beef, Chicken, Liver and other flavors. I cut them up into pieces about the size of a pea. They are used as training rewards only. For an outside unleashed recall, I have been using hot dogs cut into pieces about twice the size of a pea. It has been working for Hershey Kisses.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

kaytris is offline Senior Member

I would be hardnosed, and set a time limit for eating. (An otherwise healthy dog will not starve himself). If Potter doesn't start eating within 10 minutes, then the foodbowl goes away till the next meal.

Free feeding is not a good idea, for a number of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by kaytris
    I would be hardnosed, and set a time limit for eating. (An otherwise healthy dog will not starve himself). If Potter doesn't start eating within 10 minutes, then the foodbowl goes away till the next meal.

Free feeding is not a good idea, for a number of reasons.
    Me too. There's no way in our home that a food bowl would stay down on the floor for 45 minutes.

Dani is offline Senior Member

NILIF will work...and you need to give Potter 15 minutes...not 35 to eat. You have to control the house...not him...that is where this is leading to. If you put down the bowl and he eats only 2 mouth fulls in 15 minutes...so be it. That is all he gets until his next feeding. You add nothing to his dish for the next feeding and no treats. If he eats all but two mouth fulls in that time, you pick it up, put it away and that is exactly what he gets at his next feeding...two mouth fulls. Nothing added and no treats.

Don't set him up for being a picky or finicky eater, or to control you or your household. He's already shown you that he controls high prized treats. Stop this now.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast