Need tips on how to secure my 14 week old pup in car while driving alone.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need tips on how to secure my 14 week old pup in car while driving alone.

DefaultNeed tips on how to secure my 14 week old pup in car while driving alone.

I 've had my pup in my car only a few times, mostly just to take him to the vet. i have been just keeping him in the front seat while i hold him by the collar and drive with one hand. making turns are tough cause at those times he wants to get on my lap.
    my vet is only a few blocks away and i don't drive on any busy streets with my pup in the car in case anyone thought i was being irresponsible. do i secure him with the seatbelt somehow?

TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need tips on how to secure my 14 week old pup in car while driving alone.

There are seatbelts that you can buy at dog stores.

But what I do is use his harness (for safety you don't want to restrain them on the collar) and clip his leash to it - and tie the end on the seat belt (which I clip into place - like if someone were using it). I think this would be your cheapest alternative - just get a decent harness (which can be cheap as it's going to be small) and if you get one that adjust you can use it more than one month

It is actually a very dangerous thing to do - driving around with a pup loose. You need to have both arms available to steer. All dogs in our cars that were not tied down nearly caused major accidents.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Need tips on how to secure my 14 week old pup in car while driving alone.

We just went through this mess for Hershey Kisses. Target vehicle was an SUV.

(1) My 1st choice wazs just a cage type parrier separating the rear section from the rest of the car. Paid about $70. Problem is that Hershey can't make the jump in to the back from the ground yet and I have a bad back and injured it lifting her.
    (2) My wife's choice was a harness made for this purpose, belted in the back seat, $40. Cannot find one in a size that will handle her now and ajust as she grows. We will have to buy a larger one in a month or two. PROBLEM: Hershey Kisses hates it and I can not restrain her enough to get it on her or attached tot he seat belt.
    (3) Barrier made to close the gap between the two front seats, keeps Hershey in the back of the vehicle, and cover for the rear seat so that she does not scratch through the material. (Total cost ~$80). Most rear seat is folded closed. She has the harder surface or roamoing room in the rear most part of the vehicle, softer bench seat to lay on if the is her desire. SHe cannot getto front seats and try to get in my lap or at the steering wheel. She can't interfere with the driver, but has no restraint or real protection for herself. This is a compromise.

That is our experience. THe guys at Petsmart doesn't like me because we bought and returned the first two when they didn't work out.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

When Henry was little, he rode in his crate, in the backseat of our car. When he outgrew the crate that would fit into our car, he graduated to a harness that clipped into the same anchor point you would attach a child's carseat to.

I've never had a problem with him getting tangled, and I do keep the tether short... it's just long enough for him to sit up and lay down comfortably.

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Whatever method you choose you don't want your dog in the front seat. If your car has an airbag and it is needed in all likelyhood the airbag will kill your dog.
    Olie

Baloo317 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by henrysmom
    When Henry was little, he rode in his crate, in the backseat of our car. When he outgrew the crate that would fit into our car, he graduated to a harness that clipped into the same anchor point you would attach a child's carseat to.

I've never had a problem with him getting tangled, and I do keep the tether short... it's just long enough for him to sit up and lay down comfortably.

ditto! (minus the crate part)

I use an adjustable "doggie seatbelt" with Baloo (he's 11 1/2 weeks), and have from day one. I found that if it is fitted properly with just the right amount of tether length (like henrysmom said) then he doesn't get tangled. However, being a puppy, if the harness part is a little too loose, or the tether a little too long, Baloo will get himself hopelessly twisted. (learned that one the hard way.... had to pull over... wasn't pretty!&#160; ;D)

But if it is the right fit/length, no problems!

hope that helps!
    Kate
    Baloo - 5 year old black lab
    Peanut - 7 year old minpin
    Monster - 3-ish year old frenchie/jack, rescue
    We're Superdogs!

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Yikes. That sounds like an awfully dangerous way of transporting a pup. Not just the fact he is loose in the front seat but you are actually holding his collar while driving. Anyway, I am very glad you have chosen to address this. I suggest exactly what the others have said -- crate probably being the safest and then a doggy seatbelt or metal barrier restraint in the back. I use a barrier which works well for us.

sblab is offline Senior Member

I tried the barrier between the front seats, but Ellie just chews on it, seatbelts, doors, etc. We ended up going with a crate for her safety and ours!

windycanyon is offline Senior Member

Crate in the back... With all the side and front air bags, a dog will be killed in minor collision. I can't tell you how many times I had a dog or 2 w/ me that I had someone pull out in front of me, etc, and was so relieved to just hear a little thump on the side of the crate. Had they been loose, they could fly up into me and cause a worse accident. I personally don't like the seat belts but they are better than nothing at all. -Anne

WindyCanyon Girls, August 2014

isaac303h is offline Senior Member

We use a carrier for Bailey.
    Never had a problem and he's always quiet and well behaved when we ride around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast