How do I get my dog involved in agility?

Thread: How do I get my dog involved in agility?

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

DefaultHow do I get my dog involved in agility?

My dog apollo is a very interesting dude. Hes VERY confident around other dogs, but somewhat skittish around humans that he doesnt know. I have been told that agility could do wonders for his self confidence. i was just curious how I would go about getting involved with agility for apollo. I am located in St. Louis, MO.
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: How do I get my dog involved in agility?

Take out the yellow pages and call up any dog school, training school in your neck of the woods - ask if they offer beginner agility classes. Most dog schools have some basic classes - and if not they will likely refer you to some who might

- call your vet and get the name of some training groups (if athey do not offer classes they will likely know someone who does)

oh and I just typed in "agility, st-louis MO" in google and found this:
    http://www.stlouisagility.org/
    on the links page it seems they name some clubs you can call. But more importantly they announce agility events that you can go visit and get more information on IN PERSON!

good luck!

ETA - THIS LINK MIGHT BE MORE USEFUL!
    http://www.gatewayagility.org/
    Go to their "training" section (http://www.gatewayagility.org/training.htm) and they have link clubs that offer classes)
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Apollopuppy is offline Senior Member

Thanks!
    Love,<br />Giuli<br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

I also found my agility class on the Clean Run website - you might try there as well.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

Kzunell is offline Senior Member

Also you can go to AKC.org and go to events and look up agility and you state(s) and then go watch an agility trial in your area and talk to those that compete and train in a style you like. Also you can talk to everyone there and get recomendations on good trainers. I find that most people at agility shows are very nice. (just don't talk to them while they are waiting at the ring to go in wait till they finish their run) You might also post this in the Obed/Tracking section

Kelly and Amber
    Kelly and Greenwoods Amber Wave CD RA OA NAJ OF WC CGC CL1-F SW<br />Chino CA<br /><br /><br />