• new puppy

5 83.33%
  • obedience

1 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when to start obedience classes

chili is offline Junior Member

Defaultwhen to start obedience classes

Was wondering when to start basic obedience classes, I am getting my first lab end of June. Approx 8 weeks old and is not going to be a show, or gun dog. I have seen at pet smart they have classes there. Was wanting to know how soon to start him in classes for basic commands and to be familiar around other dogs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: when to start obedience classes

You should start him at around 12 to 14 weeks after he's had at least 2 possibly 3 sets of vaccinations. Petsmart is okay...but I'd recommend looking up your local kennel club to see what kind of classes they offer.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

I agree with Dani. Wait until your pup has had all it's shots. If there is a local kennel or dog training club, that may be a better option than Petsmart. While Petsmart may have a good trainer here and there, you are apt to find better help at a dog club.

I start my dogs as young as possible, and take classes almost for life!

Good luck! Post pictures when you get the pup home!
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

kk4389 is offline Member

My puppies are almost 9 months now...we have been waiting for one of them to get over some small illnesses (diarrhea, ear infection and small leg laceration) before starting them in puppy classes. And we just got them fixed. Do you think they are a little set in their ways and it will be harder to train them in the puppy classes? Should we do a private one on one training with a trainer instead of the traditional classful?
    They really need obedience training. The know how to sit and give paw....but they don't stay very well and DEFINETLY don't always COME when we call them.
    I hope we're not TOO late for the training classes.
    HELP!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

It's NEVER too late. yes it's always best to start as soon as you can, but it is more important that you just start!

Dryf went to obedience for the first time at age 5-6 and Rocky at 1.5 (we got both of them when they were older). Yes, some things might be a bit harder as the dog has developed some habits but it is never impossible.

Charlie (foster) and Rocky

kk4389 is offline Member

Okay. Thanks Tanya.

Brigettas Mom is offline Senior Member

Between some issues Brigetta had and finding the right trainer for us, Brigetta didn't start her first class until she was 10 months. Of course I would have preferred to start her as soon as I got her, but it didn't work out that way.

Teresa, mom to Brigetta and Prudence

pj
    pj is offline Senior Member

we started our puppies at 12wks in puppy classes and had a great time. wonderful opportunity to get important socialization and exposure to lots of different people, sounds, experiences etc.

if you can, go and observe a few classes and trainers. we were lucky to find one particular trainer at our local petsmart that is wonderful.
    <br />pj, theo &amp; dexter

kk4389 is offline Member

Okay. Thank you all for your information!!! I am excited to get them started!!

chili is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I added a pic to my profile of my new puppy, my girlfriends dad breeds labs, and he sent us some photos of our new boy. I will be posting another topic about food and treats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast