Is the labrador personality built until the 4th month ?

Thread: Is the labrador personality built until the 4th month ?

marcossoft is offline Junior Member

DefaultIs the labrador personality built until the 4th month ?

Hi all,

I've read an article (in my native language - Portuguese) that the dog's personality is built until the 4th month, so the dog will "stick" with this behavior in her whole life, such as jumping, bitting, pulling the leash ....
    Is this information true for labradors ? If affirmative probably my sister will become crazy and her little girl will not be able to enjoy the dog :'(

Thank you very much
    Marcos

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

fuzbutz2 is offline Junior Member

DefaultRe: Is the labrador personality built until the 4th month ?

No way! Most labs are high energy. Something people should research before getting a lab. Most people don't do their homework before purchasing a dog. Obedience training help greatly and daily walking is a must. A tired dog is a good dog. Allot of labs don't really settle until around 3 years old.

marcossoft is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by fuzbutz2
    No way! Most labs are high energy. Something people should research before getting a lab. Most people don't do their homework before purchasing a dog. Obedience training help greatly and daily walking is a must. A tired dog is a good dog. Allot of labs don't really settle until around 3 years old.
    Nice !!!

I've just read about this at this site's FAQ and now we are all more confortable :-) because we want a dog to "participate" in our lives .... I mean a dog that can be your full time buddy not a static dog in the yard. I think we have just to wait and try to put limits and this will happen normally.

Thank you very much
    Marcos

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TimC. is offline Senior Member

Marcos, I can't say for sure but what the article may have meant is that you should introduce your puppy to as many new, safe experiences as possible before they are 20 weeks. Things such as stairs, people, dogs, cats (if the cat likes dogs). If you don't do it before then you may have a problem later on. And things aren't always the same. Stairs that are opened such as basement stairs or stairs up a deck are the same to you and me but to a dog its a totally different animal.
    Olie

steveandginger is offline Senior Member

Marcos --

Never fear! My lab pup was crazy as a young puppy, but now she is much more well-behaved, obedient, and affectionate. Once they lose some of that puppy energy, they will calm down and be much more manageable. The most important thing is to work with your dog, encouraging the behaviors that you want the dog to continue, and discouraging the negative behaviors. It takes alot of patience, and lots of persistence and consistency (the discipline part -- correcting the unwanted or negative behaviors), but in time, I am confident that your puppy will settle down, and become much more of what you are all hoping it will be.

Steve

MarlansMum is offline Senior Member

I agree. Marlan was nuts when he was smaller. He is 10 months now and although he's still crazy in new environments, he's a lot calmer and more well behaved now. They want to please you, but they need a leader. YOu have to be consistent and tough but fair.

I get a wam fuzzy everytime I tell him to do something and he just does it, no arguments, no questions asked! Labs RULE!

Tanya is offline Senior Member

I do not believe it.

Just talk to people who have adopted labs at an older age - these dogs re-adapted to a whole new way of life (and sometimes the differences were quite extreme).

If it's about a dog being hyper then yes age does have an impact. Younger dogs need regular exercise and regular training (everyday).
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

DFWLab is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by marcossoft
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzbutz2
    Nice !!!

I've just read about this at this site's FAQ and now we are all more confortable :-) because we want a dog to "participate" in our lives .... I mean a dog that can be your full time buddy not a static dog in the yard. I think we have just to wait and try to put limits and this will happen normally.

Thank you very much
    Marcos
    Believe me, if you don't 'participate' enough in a lab's day, he/she will MAKE SURE that you do...

imported_Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

No, dogs continue to learn and unlearn. Your sister needs to continue to be persistant with the rules and her dog will follow along. Obedience classes help.
    <br />Dogs&#39; lives are too short.&nbsp; Their only fault, really.&nbsp; ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull