Stops 04 months old puppy from leash biteing

Thread: Stops 04 months old puppy from leash biteing

marcossoft is offline Junior Member

DefaultStops 04 months old puppy from leash biteing

Hi all :-)

Me and My wife are taking care of Malu, it's a 4 months female chocolate labrador that pertains to my sister. We completed about 04 weeks with the dog and we will stay more 02 weeks with Malu. We accepted this appointment because my syster, her husband and her four years old girl are on vacation and they wouldn't like to left Malu in some sort of dog shelter/hotel. So I'll try to give more info about Malu's profile.:
    - She joined my syster's home when she was about 60 days old (after the first vaccine), so Malu was socialized with her 03 sisters and 01 brother normally.
    - She took all vaccines so we can walkaround with her (here starts the problem)

So an issue arised :-(. Let's try to better describe the problem.... Malu already took all the vaccines as I said before, our walks are possible only at night because me and my wife work all day long. When me and Malu are walking she "protests" a lot biteing and pulling the leash and sometimes this hurts my hand because one of her teeth scratches it in my attempt to remove the leash from her mouth :-(

We "try" to walk about 45 min. but due this problem we cannot fully enjoy the walk because most of the time she's trying to bite and pull the leash fighting against it and jumping on me :-(

I saw a dog at "Dog Whisperer's" program that did the same, but malu does it with much more intensity :-(. I "think" Malu needs another dog friend to walk with us but I'm not sure about that ... could someone clarify what can I do to stop this behavior ?

Some Malu's data.:
    - 04 months
    - All vaccines applied
    - 17 kilos

This is the dog whisperer's video that shows what Malu does with me ... but she tries to fight against the leash much more harder :-( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpi87...elated&search=

Thank you very much
    Marcos

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Stops 04 months old puppy from leash biteing

Biting and pulling on the leash. I have a 5 month old. As far as pulling goes, we bought a gentle leader. Hershey Kisses hated it, still does but the intensity is decreasing. No more pulling on the leash. She will periodically lay downa nd try torub her face on the ground to get it off, without success. It has been a great help in keeping my arm attached to my shoulder.

As far as biting goes. She does not bite at my wife at all. She will not tolerate it. When Hershey Kisses first nipped or scrathed her, my wife would ignore her completely. In a few days, Hershey did not mip bite, jump, or any other undersired behaviour with my wife. I am more tolerant, and still get nippd occassionally. As the instructor at puppy school told me, I am a 'woof', and getting whatever I will tolerate.

Take these words for what they are worth. Nothing or usefull.

Endof....tail
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

my pup Storm does the same thing with his leash. although we haven't had him out on walks yet cause he needs one more set of shots which he will get this friday. ive been trying to get him used to leash by just putting it on him and trying to walk him in our yard. he will hold it in his mouth as we walk out into the yard. he will walk fine about ten feet. then he sits in protest then lays down and rolls on his back and starts biting the leash

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Endofile
    Biting and pulling on the leash. I have a 5 month old. As far as pulling goes, we bought a gentle leader.
    Thanks for the tip :-)
    I think I'll buy a Gentle Lead for Malu too. I know that at first it will not be confortable for her but anyway ... I don't want to have my fingers bleeding anymore during a walk :-(
    As far as biting goes. She does not bite at my wife at all. She will not tolerate it. When Hershey Kisses first nipped or scrathed her, my wife would ignore her completely. In a few days, Hershey did not mip bite, jump, or any other undersired behaviour with my wife. I am more tolerant, and still get nippd occassionally. As the instructor at puppy school told me, I am a 'woof', and getting whatever I will tolerate.
    Yeah the ignore trick is working with Malu too but me and my wife have to be patient ... I think it takes time to get off this behaviour .... but it's improving :-) when she bites os nips me or my wife we say NO very loud, she barks immediately and I put her off the kitchen and ignore her for a while.

Thank you very much for your help
    Marcos

Quote Originally Posted by black storm dog
    my pup Storm does the same thing with his leash. although we haven't had him out on walks yet cause he needs one more set of shots which he will get this friday. ive been trying to get him used to leash by just putting it on him and trying to walk him in our yard. he will hold it in his mouth as we walk out into the yard. he will walk fine about ten feet. then he sits in protest then lays down and rolls on his back and starts biting the leash
    I tried to get Malu used to the leash walking in the yard but her only focus is to "pull" the leash :-( so I think I'll stick with the Gentle Lead.

Thank you very much for your help
    Marcos

TimC. is offline Senior Member

If you go back and watch that Dog Whisper episode I bet you will find that Milan gets the leash up behind the dogs ears where he doesn't have a chance to bite it.
    Olie

baboyako is offline Junior Member

flavor the leash with something yucky like vinegar or hot sauce. one taste and my puppy ignored the leash right away!

Quote Originally Posted by baboyako
    flavor the leash with something yucky like vinegar or hot sauce. one taste and my puppy ignored the leash right away!
    Nice I liked that

imported_Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

awww, she is too young to go on a forced walk. Try tiring her out by playing ball in the yard or tug-o-war. Also you can hide food for her to find and this will make her use her brain. Hide and seek is also a fun game for puppies. I don't recommend walking a puppy until they are at least 9 months old and then at that age not very far.
    <br />Dogs&#39; lives are too short.&nbsp; Their only fault, really.&nbsp; ~Agnes Sligh Turnbull