I need your advice on jealousy!

Thread: I need your advice on jealousy!

Mads Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultI need your advice on jealousy!

I've been wondering about this the past couple of days. I'm with Madison and Sarah pretty much all the time, except when I'm doing errands and it's just to long to take them with me.. and lately, I've been helping hubby out on his extra job (after his full time job). But I'm the one that feeds, waters exercises, plays and does most of the training with BOTH girls. BTW.. there are 4 other members in my household. >

Tonight, Madison brought me her tennis ball so we started playing (we were in the house and I was sitting on the floor with the girls). Madison loves to slide across the kitchen floor as she grabs her tennis ball. Well, Sarah decided to curl up in my lap and almost got a bit..defensive/aggresive/jealous... I'm just not sure what word really fits. I did try and get her to play with another toy so they each had one. She has had a more aggressive nature to her since we adopted her but we've been handling those as they come. For example, after first bringing her home, Sarah would growl at Madison or Buddy when she was eating or drinking..... all they had to do was get close to her. We handled that and she no longer cares who is next to her, near her or sharing her bowl.

But the one thing I'm concerned of is her getting possesive of me.... and not wanting to share with Madison. Hubby finally decided to help out and took Sarah and sat her with him on the couch. And then the girls were fine. I just want to make sure we handle this correctly so we don't have any more issues with this.

TIA for you advice.

Alisa
    <br /><br />Sarah b-Feb. 2007<br />Madison b-Oct 2006<br />Oregon

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

obsidian Guest

DefaultRe: I need your advice on jealousy!

Sounds like resource guarding, YOU being the resource. Don't allow Sarah to lay claim to you by curling up in your lap.

Dani is offline Senior Member

Well, having two dogs you have to make time for them INDIVIDUALLY...and that is where the rest of your house hold has to come into play. Madison needs one on one time with you in playing, loving and training. And Sarah needs the same...and then they need together time with you. It's important to give each of them time away from each other and alone with you.

That is how it goes around here. Rider get's special swimming time with mom away from Rookie. Rookie goes to puppy class away from everyone else. They both get loved on. Each gets special treats that neither of them have access to. For instance, Rider gets to drink the last of my milk and the left over cereal in the morning, Rookie does not. Rookie only gets the soft high value treats. Rider does not.

It has to be give and take before it all works out. Get the rest of your family on board.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

obsidian Guest

One on one time is good, but it won't neccessarily prevent resource guarding. Another thought I had is that perhaps, for Sarah, having Madison running around in the house is overstimulating. Maybe if you want to play with Madison in this manner, you could give Sarah a stuffed Kong in another room.

Mads Mom is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the help. I know we've got to come up with a plan so things can change. Hubby has made the comment this weekend, more than once, that "Sarah seems to need a firmer hand than Madison" And he thinks he came up with that conclusion on his own. I've only been telling him that for the past 3 weeks.

This morning I was able to take each of the girls for a walk seperately while the other was inside with the kids. Then after we got back, I spent some time outside with each so they got in their own loving time. They both did so good. We're lucky to live in a quiet neighborhood and on a dead end street. There were no other dogs to distract them and the 2 neighbors that were out, we just said "HI" and went on.

I sometimes think hubby gets bummed because Madison and Sarah follow me where ever I go and they don't do that with him much. But, he also doesn't do much with them either. > I believe tonight it's time for another family meeting.
    <br /><br />Sarah b-Feb. 2007<br />Madison b-Oct 2006<br />Oregon