Okay! What's next?

Thread: Okay! What's next?

HersheyK's Dad is offline Senior Member

DefaultOkay! What's next?

Okay! What's next?

Down? Stand? Come? Spin? Leave it? Wait?

Come on! I am ready for the next treat. I know its in your pocket. Lets get to it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Okay! What's next?

They are eager, aren't they? ;D ;D
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Dani is offline Senior Member

Great!

I would not recommend treating on every command...you want her to guess when she's going to get a treat so she is consistent, whether or not you have a treat for her...
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani, or anyone else.

Hershey does not get a treat every time, once I establish the behavior to a command. Just trying to defend myself<g>

I could use some ideas or help on an outdoor unrestrained 'Come'. I regard this command as one of the most critical to myself, and I believe to her also. This may have me a bit impatient for results. I don't know. Hershey is almost 5 months old. Maybe I am expecting too much for the age.

Hershey knows what I want inside, within room, out of sight situations, even from different floors in the house.

Outside unrestrained, I feel that I am getting nowhere. Totally ignores my existence. I started to try using high value rewards (hot dog pieces) for this effort. I have tried tossing small pieces midway to try to get her moving toward me. She goes after the treat fast enough, but will not finish. When on a 15 foot lead, she responds quickly 50% of the time, delayed (~ 2 seconds) 10% of the time. and with a lead jerk the remainder.

I am searching for ideas to try, willing to accept criticism. I do not claim to know how this should be done.
    Hershey Kisses, In charge of getting Ed out to the dog park so that he gets some exercise.

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

the OUR BEST ADVICE stick at the top has excellent tips for teaching a reliable recall....

Thanks Dan!

I read that post when i first found this message board. It is helpful. Very helpful. This recall exercise is painful. I am trying to do it right, I don't want to get the wrong behavior going and then have to fight that also. i was hoping someone had a magic injection that I could get fro a vet.<g>

I have seen this 'SU' used by several posters. Associating it with context, I came up with Significant Other by someone that didn't know how to spell other. I think that was wrong. What does SU stand for.

Ed

Chester B. Dickens is offline Senior Member

Spousal Unit or, for the clever, Significant Udder. ;D