Rebelious puppy stage?

Thread: Rebelious puppy stage?

GraphiteEvo9 Guest

DefaultRebelious puppy stage?

Well, murphy hit 6 months and his behavior didnt really change. Now he is over 7 months and he just loves pushing the limits of my sanity. He was doing good on walks, barely any pulling now he trys to butt tuck while he is on the leash, but I dont let go of the leash and he just winds up getting yanked back. He lunges at every dog and person with excitement nearly taking off my arm. At class this week was the worst. He just wanted to roll on his back and chew and tug on the leash. I grabbed him by the collar to stop the game with the leash, but that only works for a second. This is after an hour long walk, and hanging out in the yard for a couple hours before class, so he has excercise before hand. He still listens to commands but is just more obnoxious. if I am sitting down he will come and try chew his toys on the bed. I let him on the bed but no toys, he just comes and doesnt get on the bed but chews on something with his head over the bed and just looks at me. Especially when is it some dirty toy from outside I dont want it on my bed, but he trys to do it anyways. This week he has even play nipped at me, and was doing it at class. He hasnt gotten mouthy for the past month or two, but now he is back. Jamb my thumb in his mouth and tell him no bite, and it has some effect but not as much as before. So this is just the rebelious stage right? If not I am in for it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rottnlabs is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Rebelious puppy stage?

Quote Originally Posted by GraphiteEvo9
    This is after an hour long walk, and hanging out in the yard for a couple hours before class, so he has excercise before hand.
    Sorry but that is not "exercise" for a young Lab. That is walking and hanging out in the yard. Labs need lots of exercise so the walk is probably doing nothing except frustrating him. He really just needs to burn off some steam. He needs to fetch, swim, chase other dogs, etc...something physical, not lounging around. He is young so you don't want to force exercise though. That means he needs to be able to stop on his own accord which basically means no 5 mile jogs on a leash.
    <br /><br />Lydia, Murray &amp; Essy in AZ<br /><br />Clear Creek&#39;s Mad About You CDX RE NJP OAP OFP ASCA CDX GSN RSN NGC TGO TNO OAC NJC HPN PS1 JHE<br /><br />Larkspur&#39;s Essence RE NAC TNN JHE

GraphiteEvo9 Guest

Actually hanging out in the yard as I put it can mean fetching, running, playing with the hose or sprinklers, playing chase or maybe even something else. After multiple activities he is still obnoxious afterwards.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Sams Mom is offline Senior Member

Could be. Could be he just gets a bit wound up. Sam was mouthy when we got her at 14 months. We used raw hide. We stopped the mouthing by giving her something to chew on. Sometimes we had/ have to put peanut butter or cheese in the rawhide to get her started. If it's possible when he's driving you completely crazy try putting him in a down stay for a while. If necessary, send him to his crate for a time out. I know you're not supposed to use the crate as punishment, but it worked with Sam. (She still loves her crate).

Get him to an off leash park if you can. There are 2 around here. One is fenced the other is not. It burns off a lot of energy and he learns that the house is for sleeping and behaving and the park is for running around like a maniac.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I'm a believer in the "5 minute per month age" rule of thumb for vigorous daily exercise (like offleash fetching/retrieving, swimming, etc.). My Puff was faily hyper as a pup and needed a couple periods of that amount each day up to about a total of an hour or a little more each day. You can learn to read your Lab's behavior and adjust appropriately.

In addition to that, many Labs seem to lose some of their prior training during the last half of their first year.

While some call this "teen age rebellion," I doubt that's applicable; I think, instead, that some learning may be lost due to all the hormonal changes going on inside their bodies.

I found that retraining using a NiLiF/NFL ("Nothing in Life is Free"/"No Free Lunch") protocol was very effective and efficient. At mealtime, obeying one command earns a small bit of kibble from my hand; the whole meal is earned that way.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748