three pups at same time
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: three pups at same time

love4labs is offline Junior Member

Smilethree pups at same time

Hi I am new to the forum. I have a 7 year old lab (Roxxy) She has been our only Lab. Until now! We have three pups Mason(male) and Dixie and Abbey(females) they are 10 weeks now. Roxxy has stepped in and become somewhat of a mother figure. She breaks up their squabbles and seems to alert me when they are up to no good. We are crate training which is saving my sanity. The thing is we intended only for one pup but have three from different parents. They are wonderful pups but having trouble with how i am going to train them. Can anyone suggest material for training multiple pups????

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

BigBrownDog is offline Senior Member

Wow. It is REALLY hard to manage 2 puppies at once. 3 will be extremely difficult. Not trying to be Debbie Downer here, but you can only train them one on one effectively - and that means you put 3 times the hours and effort into the process.

As they will bond to each other much more thoroughly than with the people in the household you really need to invest time with each puppy separately as frequently as possible.
    Sharon, Blaise and Diesel.

Thanks Sharon. We are trying our best to have separate time with each. As I have noticed they are bonding with each other. Thanks for input!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tanya is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by love4labs View Post
    Thanks Sharon. We are trying our best to have separate time with each. As I have noticed they are bonding with each other. Thanks for input!!
    Be very careful about this. YES you want them to be good siblings and get along but even with just TWO puppies one has to work hard to ensure each bonds to the HUMANS first and each other second. This is a hard task, takes time and dedication.

Make time everyday to train each individually. Regularly seperate them, even better, crate train them in seperate crates. DO NOT put them all in one crate ever. (ok maybe for like a ew minutes in a pinch but never for more than that)

Unforunately it's going to be about more than TRYING to find time for them individually every day. THEY MUST absolutely have one on one time with you. In fact, I would regularly split them all up (so they are used to be ALONE ALONE, not just taking one away and leaving two together at all times). They need to be able to be on their own as well as with their siblings and be ok with that.
    Charlie (foster) and Rocky

Thanks Tanya. Yes i have them in seperate crates. Seems like the first 2 weeks my 7 year old lab had the adjusting to. they have accepted her. my husband has bonded with one of the females and my 17 year daughter to the male. i have the 7 year old shes mine. and i am trying to spend as much time with the other female. Whew!! It is very hard work.! I feel i can do i, just unsure sometimes if i am doing right by them. They will follow simple comands when alone with one of us. House work and laundry are behind as well as my sleep. But it will be worth the outcome. Thank you again for any info.!

Labradorable is offline Senior Member

I have no advise, because I've only ever had one puppy at a time ... I just want to say I think you are very brave. LOL
    ~Samantha
    Dozer (04/01/09) & Moose (01/02/13)
    Cybil (02/02/00 - 02/20/09)

asm
    asm is offline Junior Member

We got our chocolate lab puppy and quickly realized she needed a friend so we got our yellow shortly after. I was concerned about them bonding more to each other than to me but they are just as attached to me and my husband as each other. My yellow doesn't seem to think I will make it out of the restroom without him and my chocolate seems to think I'll fly off the bed if she doesn't hold me down. Our chocolate seemed less destructive once we got her a friend as well. We did do seperate training sessions however. good luck!

Canula2000 is offline Senior Member

you've got your hands full!! I raised two pups at once, I really don't see it as a problem with them bonding together. I wanted them to be friends, but as for training you do have to train seperately.

"Every boy should have two things: a dog, and a mother willing to let him have one"
    - Anonymous

sarah is offline Senior Member

phew... it'd be like having triplets. You are very very brave. Why did you buy three at once??
    Sarah & Milly - Sydney Australia

Hi !! Well we have an older lab. My daughter wanted a choc. male pup for high school graduation present. We decided to get a female for companion and the older lab was adjusting well with the first pup. The next week my husband came home from work saying that a friend at work was giving away the last pup from her litter for free. She was AKC as well with first two sets of shots etc.. She was having a hard time letting her first litter go. Soooo he brought her home. They are such loving pups and are blending well. When they are in their crates before naptime the will watch me give commands to the older lab with such attention! It's funny you mention triplets, because i was thiinking the same thing at feeding time!! I am just thankful i am not working right now to care and train them. My hubby is a big help too and my daughter is as well. Sorry for the long reply.
    Ronessa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast