When to train a puppy?

Thread: When to train a puppy?

rahauge is offline Member

DefaultWhen to train a puppy?

I have had Malley, my female lab since 7 weeks old, she is now almost 14 weeks and is doing very well. I plan for her to be a gun dog for both upland and waterfowl, but obviously basic obedience is my only concern at this point. I started out reading some more "aggressive" methods with positive reinforcement (Wolters books - which I already know you hate) and have backed off. Her retrieving is allright, I don't do it much, and she has to either be on a mowed path or in my hallway to not get distracted. We have only worked on sitting (with verbal and whistle) as well as stay in the past week. Otherwise I haven't done much else and am taking it slow. My biggest issue is she doesn't seem to love leaving the house on her leash (although she's getting better) - which makes training tough.

My question is when should I start to train more consistently? How am I doing so far? Am I behind?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Belles mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: When to train a puppy?

It will all come in time! As you probably already know, keep your training sessions really short. Malley is still such a wee pup, you can not expect too much of her yet. I started training almost from birth (nail clipping, handling all body parts kinda thing) every day. Once she has all her shots, exposure to everything you can, people, places and different terrains. Let her enjoy being a pup! There is time to get serious later.

Sounds like you are on the right track! Enjoy!
    Karen and<br />UAG1 SHR UCDX GRCH Tracker Belle of Bedford RAE JH CDX TT WCX WC CGC (Belle)<br /><br />UCD SHR GRCH BIMBS BBI Belle&#39;s Kodiak Dreamweaver JH UD RAE TT WC CGC (Kodi)<br /><br />SHR UCH BBI Ponderosa&#39;s Big Blond Guy JH RE TT WC CGC (Hoss)

Dani is offline Senior Member

I'd really recommend getting her into a puppy class. The socialization is wonderful! Remember to let her be a pup. Rookie is 14 weeks old and I make everything fun. He's got pretty good recall for a 14 week old...but I throw him a big party when he comes. I've introduced him to birds, the water, we go to class once a week and last night, he was introduced to the bird/dummy launcher that sounds like a gun (it's powered on .22 blanks)...I am working on getting him to stay...a down (I am not teaching him sit because he's a show prospect and I don't want him sitting in the ring), he's good about "leave it"...

I have an advantage...I also have a 4 year old...and monkey see, monkey do...so I will admit that many things are easier this go around because I have a well trained 4 year old already in the house. I do really recommend the puppy class though.

As Karen said, sessions should be short and fun. It will come!
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dayna is offline Senior Member

I start training from birth also. But if it is a dog I purchased or trained for service, I start the day I get them. I will also start taking them places and class after the second set of shots. If you wait until all shots you lose so much time.

Dani,

You can teach sit even if a show prospect. My pups are learning sit soon as the are walking. Labs are very smart dogs. My dogs have different collar and leashes for different events. I have not had a problem with my dogs sitting in the show ring.

Dayna
    Glen-Mar Labradors

Dani is offline Senior Member

Dayna, he already naturally just sits...so that makes me nervous. Since this is my first go around...I want to do everything I can correctly!
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003